Chapter Eighteen

"These are your math notes?" I asked dubiously.

We were in Biology the next day, lydia on one side, reading a jumble of letters, numbers and symbols and Kira on my other side, distracted by something.

"Some of them are my notes, the rest I think might actually be a code." Lydia replied.

"But you don't remember writing it?" I questioned.

"Not in the slightest. But considering my drawing of a tree lead us to the nemeton, I should probably figure out what it means before it tries to kill us." She stated.

Stiles had told me how Lydia had been the key to discovering the nemeton while I was in Eichan.

"Maybe it's like the Enigma code, the Allies used." Kira mused, after listening in on what Lydia was saying.

"Remember my Dad was a World War II buff, my Mom aswell- in it." Kira reminded us.

"I think this is a variation on something called the Vigenére cipher." Lydia spoke up.

"Do you know how to crack it?" I asked her.

"With a key." Lydia said in a 'duh' tone.

Suddenly, as if on cue a silver key dangled infront of us and we looked up to see Natalie, Lydia's Mom with a stern expression.

"Remember the rules. No more than 6 people in the lake house and stay out of the wine. And if anything gets broken, it's getting added to your credit card debt." She ordered.

"Fine." Lydia chirped and reached for the key but Natalie kept it out of reach.

"And lock up the basement, from all the scratch marks I found on the walls it looked like a pack of wild animals got down there." She said before handing Lydia the key.

We all gave her nervous smiles as she turned on her heal and walked away.

"Malia really needs to find an anchor." I sighed.

"Um are you forgetting yourself? How many fires in the woods have we had to put out because you torched them?" Lydia sassed.

"I'm working on it."

~~~

Walking out of the Biology class, I was swept off by none other than Stiles. I could hear Lydia following us with a huff and a click of high heels and I could sense Kira's anxiety following us aswell.

"What's going on?" I cried.

"We're trying to find Liam." Stiles responded.

"Oh." Was all I said, trying not to be distracted by Stiles' warm hand wrapped around my forearm.

We rounded the corner and Stiles suddenly caught sight of a very shaken looking Liam, with Scott following closely behind.

"Liam, hey!" Stiles called out and I cringed at how the word subtle wasn't in his vocabulary.

"We need to talk." Scott urged as we basically cornered Liam. Kira and Lydia hung back so it was Scott, Stiles and I around him.

"No, you need to back the hell off! All of you." He yelled.

"Can't you just listen for one second." Scott asked, sincerely concerned.

"What?" Liam growled allowing Scott to talk.

"Liam..." Scott trailed off trying to find the right words.

"...We're brothers now."

"What?" Liam said dumfoundedly.