Chapter Thirty-One

"Let's go, Lorraine."

"Listen to me. Please listen. There's something I have to do, something I have to stop."

"I have to take you back to Eichan, Lorraine."

We were at the sherrifs station the next morning, combing through the tape of Lorraines death, trying to figure everything out. Malia was with us helping us out with her supernatural hearing. Stiles turned the volume up.

"No. No. I don't think you're gonna be taking me anywhere. I can hear the recorder in your pocket. It's on now, isn't it? You're making a tape. Just like you taped the others." Lorraine's taped voice met our ears and I saw Lydia wince.

"This didn't happen at Eichan House." Stiles noticed and I cocked my head trying to listen to every whisper coming from the tape player.

"But then where did she go?" I mumbled, more to myself than anyone else.

"That's what we need to find out." Stiles' voice was closer than before and when I looked up, I realised that he had the same idea as me, moving closer to the tape player to glean any information he could, thus moving him closer to me. We weren't touching but I could feel his everpresent warmth on my skin.

I stepped back slightly.

"I think I'm getting an idea of how this all happened." Lydia spoke up and I looked up at her squaring up with Meredith.

"You used Burnski, right? You knew he'd killed people, and that he would do it again," her voice shook over Brunski's name, "He used my grandmother's code for the dead pool, he put it online. He took the money from the Hale vault, then he turned the bearer bonds into cash. He made the payments." Lydia's voice sounded out the words slowly like she was still trying to piece everything together.

"Was it Brunski's idea to fake your death? Did he get nervous because you helped us with one of the cipher keys?" Lydia sat across from Meredith speaking softly to her like she was a deer that could spook at any minute.

"I wanted to help." Meredith said lowly, her eyes on the floor.

"All you ever wanted to do was help. Is that why you're here? I know you wouldn't want to be here if you didn't want to talk." Lydia soothed, trying to coax the information out of her.

"I do." Meredth said and Lydia let out a breath. "But only to one person."

"Who?" Lydia asked, puzzled.

"Peter. Peter Hale."

My eyebrows shot up and Lydia and I exchanged a look. Of course Peter Hale was somehow wrapped up in this.

"Get back to Eichan, Lorraine."

"No. No. I don't think you're going to be taking me anywhere."

"That's it!" Malia spoke up. "That's where it is. Play it again and turn it up."

Stiles rewinded it and turned it up and I turned my focus back to the tape player and leaned in once again.

"No. No. I don't think you're gonna be taking me anywhere. I can hear the recorder in your pocket. It's on now, isn't it? You're making a tape. Just like you taped the others."

I closed my eyes and listened hard and my ears picked up the faintest sound. The sound of a needle scratching faintly.

"It's the record player." Malia stated and Stiles looked at her confusedly but I had already matched the dots.

"What record player?" Stiles asked.

"The one in the lake house, in the study." I spoke up and Malia nodded. Stiles scrunched his nose.