Chapter Twenty-Five

Juniors were milling around nervously as I pulled up in my car.

It was PSAT's day.

As if I didn't have enough to worry about.

On top of all the supernatural shit and the fact that my academic life was hanging in the balence, I was furious at myself for being selfish last night and going to Stiles'.

And I can barely even think about that kiss.

I skimmed over my hasty notes that I had made when I had a spare minute as I walked into school. I spotted the guys in a second standing around Malia's locker. Lydia was nowhere to be found. I saw Stile's eyes latch onto me but I looked away.

"Hey." I said, too cheerily. My smile was too bright and it didn't reach my eyes. I recieved a chorus of 'hey'.

"Where's Lydia?" I asked, genuinely confused why the genius girl wasn't there.

"She took it her freshman year." Stiles spoke up and my gaze finally met his.

His eyes glinted with knowing secrecy and it was in that moment that I realised how light a sleeper he really was.

"Does that mean I could have taken it some other time?" Malia cried and Scott gave her a reassuring smile.

"Malia, you studied harder for this than any of us." Scott pointed out and we all nodded.

"Doesn't mean I'm gonna do good." She stressed.

"Well." I corrected out of habit from correcting my Dad.

"Well, what?" She asked confusedly.

"It's do well, not good." I told her tentatively.

"Oh god!" She exclaimed and I wrapped my arm around her, rubbing her shoulders.

"You're doing this, because while we're trying not to die, we still need to live." Scott said philisophically.

"If I survive high school, I'd like to go to college. A good college." I stated and Malia nodded vigerously.

The PSAT's rep came out of the classroom and began to call us in. My heartbeat jumped.

Malia ripped out of my hold and began to furiously read her notes before we had to go in.

"It's only three hours. We can survive three hours." Kira said but she ddidn't sound so sure.

I lagged behind the group as we filed in, anxiously biting my lip.

"Scale of 1 to 10." I hadn't even realised Stiles was next to me until he spoke, giving me a sideways smile.

Guilt ripped through me.

"Is that even a question?" I whispered back as we moved through the door and into the classroom. I could hear him laugh and it warmed my cheeks but the guilt was still there in the pitt of my stomach.

I shouldn't have gone anywhere near him last night. It was incredibly selfish of me. I could never be that person for him. I was dangerous.

It was all very formal, to sign in we had to put a tumbprint next to our name and signiture.

Before I sat down in my seat Scott's phone went off.

"Cell phone in the evnvelope, Scott. You'll get it back after the test." Ms Martin, Lydia's mom, offered him an envelope and he slid his phone in.

We all settled into our chairs. The PSAT's rep started to give us our instructions.

"Please do not open the test booklet until you are instructed to do so. This test is two hours and 10 minutes. There will be two 25 minute critical reading sectione, two 25 minute math sections and an essay writing portion that will last 30 minutes." He paused and looked at Ms Martin who was staring at the door worriedly.