Chapter Twenty-Two

"LET'S GO!"

Coach's voice echoed over the field, making me jump out of the trance I was in.

My eyes locked onto Scott who had lagged behind the rest of the players with a worried expresion on his face.

"Hey McCall! I said get your ass on the field!" Coach boomed and Scott did the opposite and stopped in his tracks.

"Coach, his leg's still healing. I don't think he should play." Scott nodded his head towards LIiam who was oblivious to the conversation.

That was Scott. Always looking out for everyone except himself.

"He said it's fine." Coach shrugged.

"As captain, I'm suggesting Liam sit out the game." Scott lowered his tone and I winced at Coach's facetious expression.

Coach burst out a loud, sarcastic laugh.

"And as the president of the United States, I'm vitoing that suggestion." Coach said sarcastically.

"But what if he gets hurt?" Scott cried.

"Hey Liam! Think fast!"

A boy with a green Devonforth Prep jersey threw a a lacrosse ball at Liam, thinking he would miss but Liam caught it in one hand with lightening precision. The boy's mouth fell open.

"Oh, he plays." Coach whooped.

Liam, sprinted onto the field, face full of determination but I caught Scott before he ran off too.

"Scott, I'll look after him." I promised.

"Thanks Lucinda." He smiled worriedly and I bumped my fist against his gloved hand. He laughed and bumped me back before running onto the field.

I sank back onto the bench, clasping my hands anxiously. My eyes latched onto Stiles who was talking avidly to Scott, dramatically guesturing with his hands. Through it all, it made me smile.

The players moved to their starting points and Kira cast me a 'freaking out' look at me and I gave her a reassuring smile with a thumbs up even though I was freaking out too.

The ref blew the whistle and the game began.

And shit we were getting pummeled.

Devonforth Prep was like a well oiled machine and we were rusty as hell, but I could barely pay attention to the actual game. I was too busy watching Garrett and Liam.

Everytime Devonforth scored, Liam got more and more riled up. I was anxiously waiting for a water break so that I could send some calming waves through his body.

Liam jogged over for a 10 second drinks break after Devonforth scored, he was seething. I ran up to him quickly drawing the magic to my fingertips.

"Liam!" I reached him and smiled at him. His eyes met mine and they were wild.

"You're doing great!" I told him and when he spat out a quick 'thanks' I raised my hand to his cheek.

He saw me coming.

And was pissed off.

"No!" He yelled, batting my hand away.

"Liam, I'm just trying to help! You need to calm down." I urged.

"I don't need your help! I am in control." He growled and sprinted away from me.

The others had been watching wordlessly a metre away.

"Why do I feel like this is going to end badly?" I asked no one in particular.

"Because it usually does." Stiles lifted up the guard on his helmet and I saw a flash of a lopsided smile before he put it back down.