Lessons

"Ughhhhhhh" you grunted in annoyance for the seventh or eighth time that afternoon. You were learning the tricks and trades that Ciel had laid out for you. You were learning how to be a competent and capable member of the Phantomhive household, a working, efficient part of the home he'd created for himself.

The only thing was, you weren't learning how to fight better, nor how to kill better, nor even how to basically do anything daring or enjoyable at all. You instead were being taught how to cook, clean and operate within the servants ranks.

You were learning how to be an assistant to a butler. You were taking lessons in order to become a maid.

"Now now, my lady," Sebastian approached you and seized the cloth you were using to clean the wooden surface of an ornate and clearly expensive chest of drawers. As he moved behind you, he seemed to almost hold you, wrapping his arm around you as slowly as he could, taking far too much time to do so. "you can't use that sort of polish on a piece of this design. It won't do. Use this." He handed you a container of heavier, clearer liquid and you snatched it out of his hand abruptly, shoving him away from you as hard as you could. What was his deal?

"I'm tired of this!" You yelled. "Why are you having me learn how to be a servant? I don't see what this accomplishes unless it's some sort of joke! Is that it? Are you all making fun of me or something?" You sighed and worked to compose yourself again. You then whipped
the cloth back from him and with the newer solution Sebastian provided for you, began cleaning the surface of the wooden chest, more hurried and vigorously than before. You paused and sighed, noticing you were rude to him. "I suppose I shouldn't have asked that another time." You were fighting back your urge to melt down completely. "I apologise."

Sebastian merely shook his head and laughed lightly to himself. "No, don't worry. I'm quite entertained. You're interesting, do you know that? I find your company refreshing. It will be enjoyable to work with you through all this." He flashed a small grin.

You felt the sides of your face grow a bit hotter when he said that. What gives? Stop it! You didn't like this fool. "Thank you, Sebastian." Before he could say much else, however, the door to the room you were both in opened jarringly. Ciel stepped forward in full force and trekked over to where you both were standing.

"We have some news from the Queen. It's important." He turned to look at you and nodded, moving his chin in a way that implied he wanted you to follow him. Sebastian did so immediately without hesitation. You walked out of the room, away from your cleaning lessons, and followed Ciel and Sebastian into what you took to be the office for the head of the Phantomhive household. It was a beautifully decorated room, and in central focus, against the diamond-crossed framework of the huge windows behind it, was a dark, wonderfully designed desk. Ciel walked to it and sat behind it, truly donning an image of austere authority.

"Sebastian, I am aware that you've been instructing [Y/N] how to be a Phantomhive servant." He folded his hands and rested his elbows on his desk, just as he did before, the very first time he addressed you. You gathered that he did so prior to revealing important information. After a momentary pause, he did just that. "Now, I need you to show her what Phantomhive servants are truly capable of."

He looked directly at you. "The remainder of our staff, though small in number, all know how to fight, to kill, and to defend me and my name. As you aren't really servant material by birth, your identity is important to protect. Therefore, I'll be taking extra precautions in whatever work I assign to you, and that means Sebastian will be with you as much as I can allow it." He turned to address his butler, who smiled and placed a gloved hand to his heart. "He'll be with you for the most time out of anyone here, second only to me, that is."

You scowled, but covered it immediately with a weak, forced smile. Ciel continued speaking and you perked up to listen. "That also means," he continued, "that you'll sometimes be accompanying me and Sebastian on orders from Her Majesty. For you, they should pose venerable opportunities in which you may further understand your legacy, do you understand?" He stopped to let you speak.

"Yes, I do!" You replied excitedly. Excellent! You would get to do what you wanted to do all along: get back out there into the underworld and deal with criminals, trick thieves and attain your own honor and glory. "Thank you, Ciel."

"When we're here, you'll address me properly, and call me either 'Master' or 'My Lord' or, in the company of the other servants, 'My Young
Lord'. I don't much care to be seen in a childish light, but it fits for the lot of them to do so, so you should, too." He went on. "That being said, when we're out, you can refer to me as 'Her Majesty's Guard Dog' or 'The Earl Phantomhive'. You are only to refer to me by my first name in the familiar sense when it is just us three, and we are alone. Do you hear me?"

You wanted to refuse outright, but you understood Ciel's reasoning. It was better to look like a servant than anything close to his equal. You'd have to blend in as much as possible, especially knowing what you did now, about your family, your father, and being targeted, being hunted. "Yes, My Lord."

You caught Sebastian smirking out of the corner of your eye. You held back a snarl. What was he so happy about? Was this funny for him?

"Good." Ciel seemed satisfied with your response. "Now, we've got to deal with some more pressing matters." He beckoned both of you to come closer to his desk. "It involves the Yard, of course, but also, we're going to have to collaborate with the Viscount. It's imperative we conceal our true aims as best we can. Druitt may know more than he lets on. I trust you can learn on the job, [Y/N]." He turned again to directly address you.

"Yes, I believe so." You felt the bottom of your stomach drop as you understood who you were going to meet, what Aliestor Chamber meant to you now. You were going to see a man who had a hand in your real origin story. You weren't sacred, but you felt a foreboding  sense of anxiety you were not accustomed to feeling before. Still, was it a good feeling? You weren't sure.

Even so, you were prepared to find out. Also, as you looked whenever you got the chance back at your new tutor, you couldn't help but admit that you enjoyed his company. He wasn't an ordinary servant, and neither were you. Somehow that made you appreciate a sort of connection -if anything- with him. You were not only anxious to see the Viscount of Druitt, but for the first time in your life, you were excited just to be around another man.

What was it about Sebastian that made you so excited?

You supposed you were prepared find out why that was true soon, too.