Light

The sun was only faintly shining through the slim opening between two dark, heavy drapes. It found its way to you, almost as though you were being quietly applauded by all creation, still in the spotlight, even after the curtain from last night's show had closed.

Sleeping peacefully until the door opened, it took more than one person to wake you up.

"She's here?"

"Yeah! I told you so!"

"I'm so happy she's okay!"

"Could you three keep your voices down? She is still recovering. Rest is essential after what transpired."

"It's of vital importance that I speak with her." You rolled over, rousing. "Sebastian."

"Yes, My Lord."

You felt a hand on your head as the full strength of the sun filled the room, and you opened your eyes. Unsure where you were a first, you looked around. Ciel was standing by the door, dressed as though ready to leave the manor on an important errand, while the rest of the servants were clustered together by your bedside, all of them looked to have been crying, partially out of joy, taking he place of what had been abject sorrow. To your right, before the window, was the man who had saved you. You had no idea how he would react.

You glanced down. You were wearing your regular nightgown. You didn't remember how you got into your bedroom. You must've fallen asleep, though. The second to last thing you remembered was being disappointed as the night began to fade, and you knew you'd have to leave where you were. The last thing you recalled was being excited as you anticipated a welcoming reunion. Ciel would be glad to see you, and you didn't feel so alone anymore- an understatement to say the least.

"Good morning, {Y/N}." You were terrified now that everything had gone back to normal, as normal as possible for you and the Phantomhive household could be, that you'd be faced with an entirely different person than you'd been with last night. "I trust you slept well."

You found it hard to speak, so you nodded as Sebastian handed you a steaming cup of tea. You took it and wrinkled your nose.

"What's wrong?"

"This isn't Earl Grey." You heard what sounded like Ciel laughing, once, but it was odd for him to do so.

"An accurate observation." You wanted him to give you a sign, something that would let you know he was still him. That he hadn't forgotten what happened. "Is there an issue with the tea I've prepared?"

"No." You looked a him, trying to think of anything you could do to formulate a clandestine enough response that'd ease your anxiety and answer your questions. "There's never been any issues with any of the tea you've made. You're an excellent butler, but if there's a different...tea...I want, then it doesn't really matter how amply you prepare any other kind of...tea. How good of a butler you are wouldn't matter if you can't offer me what I want. Right?"

Right? You hadn't really done the best job of conducting the perfect interrogation, but you were too emotionally invested. All good officers know not to take a case they've got a personal stake in. You wouldn't have needed even one of the years you'd spent observing Scotland Yard to know that. Please tell me I'm right.

He merely turned to look at Ciel. "It appears you two share an immutable dedication to that particular tea." He took the cup back from you, ignoring the bewildered expressions on the faces of Mey-Rin, Finnian and Bardroy as he walked toward the door.

"My Lord." he placed a hand on his chest.

"We have more than enough to do today. I've fallen as behind as I'll allow. She's healthy enough to continue with her prior nonsensical ramblings. You've done well. Bring a fresh pot to my study." He turned to the other servants. "You three." They saluted him. "Your devotion is appreciated." He glanced past them, to where a fourth servant stood as he spoke, evidently echoing words he'd learned from his elder steward. "Even if it's unbecoming for someone like me to lose composure over the loss of a member of my staff, The death of a servant merits mourning no less than anyone else's."

You saw Sebastian smirk, while the rest of the staff merely waited with their hands still raised, standing at attention like a trio of soldiers. "Fortunately, that death was avoided." He turned to you. "Even so, it's good to know you have friends here." Sebastian hadn't been dismissed yet. "Isn't that right, Sebastian?" You were instantly envious of Ciel's clearly superior articulation as he addressed his butler.

Sebastian merely smiled faintly and agreed. "You're quite right, My Lord. Shall I fetch your tea now?"

"Go." He waved his hand. "All of you." Everyone was ordered to leave as Ciel remained. "Do your jobs." They responded more enthusiastically than any servants should, and then you were alone together.

"We should get back to work as well." You wanted to scream, but you held back. Ciel would be one of the last people you'd want to let know about what actually happened the night before. He still remained by the door, prepared to leave.

You stayed in bed, distraught as you thought about the uncertainty the day would bring. You wanted to be alone with someone else then. "Ciel."

He remained in place as he responded. "What?"

"Come here." You were looking at the window when you spoke, at the light of day. It seemed darker somehow, after you stated to worry. The more you did, the further it encroached.

He approached you as he repeated himself. "What?"

"Do I really remind you of your mother?"

He was shocked as you turned to face him. "I...I..." he saw tears fleck your cheeks and his expression softened. "Yes." He was right beside you now. "You do." He spoke without further prompting. "You have had a..." he paused. "positive influence here."

You hoped he knew something you didn't as he went on. "I'm happy you've stayed. I'm sorry about what happened, but I'm grateful things turned out the way they did." He laughed once, and only once. "I can't remember the last time I was happy."

"Ciel..."

"Don't let them get away with it." You were confused by his remarks. The men who did this were dead.

"What do you mean?"

"I'll tell you over tea. He did know something, but it wasn't the kind of thing you wanted. You nodded before rising, throwing the covers off you as a sign that you'd be needing privacy to get dressed.

Ciel smiled broadly before staring toward the door again. So much was upsetting you that you didn't appreciate how significant such an act was. "Come to my study when you've gotten yourself together." He opened the door as you began to undress, you wanted answers. You'd be quick about it. "Oh and {Y/N}." He stopped and looked over his shoulder, his hand on the latch. You paused awkwardly, one of your arms in midair, your gown halfway on. He turned back instantly, though the autocratic effect of his statement was just as confounding.

"It appears Earl Grey isn't the only thing to which we share a common dedication. Do your best to look presentable. You'll understand why that matters when we reconvine."

Your paranoia deescalated as Ciel left. The encroaching blackness seemed to halt. It retreated. Still, as you gazed up at the bright blue sky, seeing the light of the new day, sunshine in your eyes, traces of darkness remained.