Evil

"{Y/N}, could you come help me please?"

"Yes, Sebastián." You hated him. You absolutely despised him. He wasn't a man at all. He was inhuman. Evil. He was the last thing you ever expected to be working alongside. You considered running away. The men hunting you were at least human enough to die if you could find a way to kill them.

You'd never stand a chance against a demon, and that's just what he was. Sebastian Michaelis, dedicated servant of the noble, young, tragically orphaned Earl Ciel Phantomhive, was a demon straight from the depths of Hell. You couldn't leave. You'd found your own Hell here, and it was comfortable, lavish, and a lie. All of it was.

You looked down at your hands, holding a tray bearing a shiny, ostentatious tea set, preparing to ascend the same staircase you did every morning, following closely behind the dark figure you so detested, as you silently prayed for a way out. There was no hope for Ciel, but you'd be dammed if it was to be the same for you. Ultimately, regardless of the pressure you both were under because of who you were, you would make your own choices. You chose to avoid losing your soul more anything, even your life.

He'd have to kill you before you gave in.

"He'll be waking soon. Come along quickly."

"I'm never slow."

His laugh revolted you. It was so innocent, cheerful, normal. You burned with hatred. "I doubt that. Speed is relative, my dear."

"Don't you EVER call me that."

"It's a familiarity. Nothing personal." He took the tray from you. "Now come."

It was an order. His superior demeanour made it clear. He was enjoying this. You said nothing as you were forced to comply.

Sunshine filled the spacious room in which your master slept. All that was visible of his small form was the top of his head, dark hair sticking out in tufts, almost azure in the light of day. He looked peaceful. You pitied him, never averting your eyes as you stepped back, minding your place by the doorway, so he'd wake to the false, pleasant face of the black-hearted monster he'd promised himself to.

"Good morning, young master. It's time to wake up. There's work to be done." He reached out a hand and Ciel's response was the same as ever. He moved towards him, like he was no less than family. You couldn't take such a gruesome sight.

A few grumpy muttered insults later and your current employer was more or less awake, turning at once to the servants he relied upon. "Sebastian." He looked your way. "{Y/N}." You curtsied.

"Good morning, my Lord."

He laughed. It was beautiful. The smile he flashed on rare occasions, the way he spoke, everything about him seemed almost divine, cherubic after you compared it with his. "I told you. You can call me Ciel when we're alone."

You usually loathed having to call him anything indicative of a higher rank, but now, saying his name only increased the despair you felt. If you convinced yourself that he was powerful, more so than you, you could have some sense of peace around him. It was a distancing mechanism to see him as strong and independent, bearing no adolescent need for companionship. If he wasn't your friend, if he didn't grow to enjoy your company as you would have wanted before, you wouldn't miss him after you were left alone- after his devilish protector consumed him, abandoning all he'd helped to create.

"Right. Ciel." You smiled, before lowering your head, focusing on anything your eyes could find. A tiny white feather twirled gently beside your feet, presumably falling from the down of the bed linens. It worked. You listened to the conversation between your confidants.

"Today's tea is Lady Grey. The additional citrus flavour will compliment the cranberry orange scones {Y/N} prepared. For her first time making them, she did quite well. It was a delicate recipe. I can't remember the last occasion on which a servant in this manor did anything without my assistance." Ciel blinked. "Try one." Sebastian held out his hand. You didn't make those. He did. When you were in the kitchen together all you did was gather the ingredients. Why give you total credit?

Ciel bit down, and you flinched, expecting some expletive. Perhaps he'd hate them so badly they'd both laugh at you. That'd be the only reason to even bother with making up nonsensical lies about breakfast. His eyes widened in surprise, and he quickly took another bite. "These are delicious!" He grabbed the tea cup. It was the fastest you'd seen him eat. "You never told me you could cook! Bardroy really could stand to take lessons from you!" He seemed happy. "Thank you, {Y/N}."

You looked up, and you realised why Sebastian did what he did. Ciel had gone from content, slightly impressed you'd made something so tasty without prior experience, to the verge of tears. You didn't understand why he'd cry at first, but then you nearly began doing the same. It took all your composure to not show how much it hurt you to hear what he said.

"These...taste just like my mother's." You felt a sharp pain in your chest , like you'd been stabbed when he closed his eyes, wiping his nose on his shirtsleeve. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be behaving so immaturely. It's just...normally the staff made all our food. She got sick frequently, but she actually enjoyed baking. She'd make these for me, and we'd eat them together. Lizzie would come sometimes and we'd all be forced to sit with her and have a tea party so Aunt Angelina could help when she..." he stopped speaking abruptly. He hadn't called Madame Red anything affectionate since her death. He composed himself after realising he'd been reliving a forgotten memory from long ago, simply because he tasted something he believed you'd made. "Your" scones, meaningless in any other situation, made him think of something his mother made for him, an uncommonly pleasant recollection amidst all the horror which drove him to avenge what happened to her. He was fleetingly happy, and you knew it was genuine. The way he looked at you then would have convinced anyone. Unexpectedly, went even further.

He turned directly toward you before rising to prepare for the day, and wasn't able to see Sebastian's evil, sickening grin as he said it.

"You remind me of her."