Love

You were sitting together, after everything that happened, looking back, the sun shining down. It's light reflected off the tops of your heads, making everything dance in its radiance. Each one of you believed the person in their arms was more beautiful than they could ever have hoped to hold. Who would have thought the two of you would find yourself in such a disgustingly romantic situation?

You'd stayed, in France. Everything was beautiful, and the best part was that no one asked about you. Perhaps it was because of Her Majesty, maybe your father, or Ciel had foreseen you running away for good eventually, though you found that unlikely. Everything had changed, and this was only the beginning.

You were afraid of getting older more than anything else. You knew this couldn't last forever. You wanted to be immortal, but you knew your ration of miracles was really used up this time. You'd have to just enjoy life for now, until the end of all time, when you'd see him in the same place as everyone else you'd ever loved. You wanted to ask, if he could just come up, why he'd have to stay on Earth at all, he wasn't trapped. He said he could ask you the same thing. You mentioned his wings, the clear indicator of the difference therein, to which he walked away, only to return exactly as you'd remembered him.

You vowed you'd make him make himself look older, too. You wouldn't be seen galavanting around the coasts of the world with an unexplainably young and handsome lover, you more like Moses than you wanted to ever be in the physical sense. You'd leave to brush your gums after your teeth fell out or some shit, and you'd come back with rules for the rest of the world to find him worshiping a younger, prettier, sparkly, shiny golden calf. Idolatry! Maybe you got God's fist commandment better than you thought. If He was jealous, how could anyone not be? At the time, that wasn't why you were angriest. You knew you'd leave after only years. You were human after all, and humans die. That's the price you had to pay for what all of you had done. At least one day you'd be together again, like all good little humans were. In heaven. You had to die to get there, as you knew before, when you screamed, pleading with him, to let you die.

You wanted to shout then too, beg for the opposite, to scream and yell and argue, but you didn't. You knew if he'd go, he'd go. There was more than one reason he'd been forgiven, and you, though you felt like it then, were far from the centre of the universe. The world did not revolve around you. You stared off into the sun, as everything it's light touched was part of a new kingdom, one you'd been instrumental in founding. It had a long way to go, and if there was ever a bigger calm before a storm, it would have to be in another reality. This was it. This was the only torrent that mattered. It was the beginning of the end of the world, when everyone and everything would come together, the golden city at the end of Revelations beginning on earth. It wasn't just you. You realised that, too. It couldn't be.

If there were angels, like Sebastian (you definitely had no scruples calling him that) and demons like the one you'd first found in London, then surely there were people like you. You remembered what Ciel had said, and you knew he had to be in a better place. People out there like you and me. It made him happy to know that. It gave him comfort as he walked bravely to his death, and you couldn't be happier to call him your friend after all. He wasn't gone. Energy couldn't be created, destroyed, or erased, and while you knew how consuming food worked -you wouldn't eat a steak and one day encounter it's reincarnation in bovine heaven- this wasn't like that. Ciel wasn't a cow, and you were pretty sure Sebastian's diet, his human form, hardly worked through food like yours did. He was like a bigger version of one of those already ridiculously large animals swimming deep beneath you: he didn't eat for years, and he didn't die. He'd be fine. Ciel wasn't just empty calories. Plus, to be frank, it wasn't like you'd ever seen an angel need a lavatory. You laughed. How vain. How stupid. How human.