Allies

The time flew by after your encounter with Queen Victoria. Days turned into weeks, then months, then years. Seven years went by and you never got what you wanted from Sebastian.

He gave you one fleeting look immediately after you learned who it was that brought on all the horror that had befallen you and Ciel Phantomhive. You couldn't be sure then if it was a warning, to disengage, that his master's contract was nearing its end, and that you were to stay out of his way, or something more cryptic. Perhaps it was regret, but despite its severity, it didn't seem malicious.

You couldn't be sure, yet you didn't lose hope as the countless hours passed. In fact, your heart grew stronger. You were surprised by your resilience. You cared less about his lack of response than you ever thought you would, and it was all because of what you were a part of.

There were two explanations for what had befallen the Aristocrats of Evil, Her Majesty's Guard Dog, your father, The Lion, and every other family still in the Queen's good graces with a stake in the match one of their own players had thrown.

One was simple. One was much more complicated.

Simply put, it was no secret that Aliestor Chamber would be the perfect suspect for the crimes committed against his former allies. His absence from the scenes where his associates committed their worst acts, brutalised you before attempting murder, sacrificing and killing the son of a vital resource to the crown, gave him away when enough of their names were revealed. He was known for his incapability to carry secrets. Who would have known he was the keeper of the biggest secret of all? Despite its apparent elementary explanation when the case was solved, Druitt's duplicity was monumental, and his effects were hard to eliminate.

That's where the complicated nature of the whole situation began. Clearly, The Viscount did not act alone. It would take time and effort, it would cost lives and a great deal of money to identify all those involved, and as you crossed name after name off a shared hit list, it became clear that the unprecedented camaraderie between the fearsome houses of the world in which Ciel grew up was upsetting him.

No, their assistance humiliated him. Nothing needed to be said for you to know why. You had heard the same words before from many people.

I'm sorry it had to be this way.

Was there ever another way? If so, an alternate route was yet to be found. Even in hindsight, Ciel's situation required him to act as he did. But why was he there in the first place if there had been a way to prevent it? Why did it come down to this, to you and him? If families like his had the capacity to work together, then perhaps this entire endeavour could have been avoided. The Viscount and his ostentations were infamous. Even if it took twice the time, which still would be less than two decades, he could have been presumptively dealt with. Several generations would be affected at this point. It was too late to change anything. Until recently, the wasn't a single day that went by after his pact with Sebastian that Ciel doubted or questioned his decision. His anger would lead him to answers, but he never expected any help from the people he knew.

On several nights over the course of those seven years, he came to understand remorse. His actions, as well as yours, kept you both busy. You were able to come out of hiding literally, but you both continually suppressed inner preoccupations.

You didn't worry about Sebastian as that fascinating, unbelievable night faded from memory. You never forgot what happened, but it's hold on you, it's terrifying significance, the end all be all of your entire existence, that side of it was gone.

You saw Ciel Phantomhive grow from an appealing kid to a brilliant, powerful young man, striking and dazzling as he matured. You finally met his betrothed, Elizabeth, and her family, the Midfords. You laughed when you realised why that one man in Ciel's office on the morning you met the Queen had laughed when you told him you would have liked some of that Earl Grey.