The Sorting Ceremony

The many first years pushed around to try and get a good look into the Great Hall, but had no such luck. The doors were closed securely, and a teacher stood before them.

"Students," the teacher said. "I am Professor Longbottom. In a few minutes, we will be heading into the Great Hall and you will be sorted into either Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, or Hufflepuff."

As Professor Longbottom continued to explain the Sorting Ceremony, Rose glanced over to Albus, who was quietly talking to Scorpius. Rose frowned. Albus had already become fast friends with a Malfoy! That Malfoy boy should have stayed away from her cousin. She tried to find a reason to dislike Scorpius, but she really didn't have one. All he'd done was been nice to her, but Rose was skeptical.

"Okay students," Professor Longbottom said. "Lets go."

Rose and the rest of the first years walked through the center of the Great Hall. Other students smiled at the 11 year olds and shouted out encouragement, and commented on the houses. Rose had her heart set on being a Gryffindor. Practically every Weasley had been a Gryffindor, as well as her mother and Uncle Harry.

"When I call your name, sit on this stool and I'll put this hat on your head. It will tell you what house you belong in. "

The hat sang a song about the founders, houses, and the school, and then it was time for the Sorting. Professor Longbottom called the first name.

"Abbey, Cara," he called out, and a short girl with brown hair stepped up to the stool and set the old hat on her head.

"Hufflepuff!" The hat cried, and students at the Hufflepuff table cheered loudly. She quickly shuffled over to the table and sat down.

The hat called more and more names, and more people joined either the Gryffindors, Ravenclaws, Hufflepuffs, or Slytherins.

"Finnigan-Thomas, Emilia... GRYFFINDOR!"

"Longbottom, Jessica... GRYFFINDOR!"

"Malfoy, Scorpius," he called out.

Scorpius walked up and took a seat on the stool. Professor Longbottom set the hat on his head, and it took barely a moment before shouting,

"SLYTHERIN."

Rose shook her head and looked away. She had thought that maybe, if he hadn't been in Slytherin, they could have kind of been friends. But it had happened as she thought.

"Potter, Albus."

The entire hall went quiet and they all stared at the younger Potter boy. Albus put on the hat and sat there. The hat stayed silent for a long time and then...

"SLYTHERIN!"

Albus looked in shock, and Rose felt her heart sink. She offered him a small smile that told him, "we're still friends, don't worry."

"You can sit with me," Scorpius smiled, gesturing at the empty seat beside him at the Slytherin table.

As Albus sat down next to Scorpius, Rose tried to hide her disappointment. She had dreamed of being with her cousin in Gryffindor for as long as she could remember. But she was happy for him, as long as he was happy. And then it was her turn.

"Weasley, Rose."

Rose made her way up to the stool and sat down. The hat was placed on her head and she heard a small voice in her head.

"Ahh, Rose Weasley. I see a bright future for you. I could see you so well in Ravenclaw, with a mind like yours. But also, I see bravery. And I believe the true house for you is..."

"GRYFFINDOR!"

Rose grinned in excitement, and found Jessica, Emilia, and James waving at her from the Gryffindor table. She smiled a sad smile at Albus and left to sit with the Gryffindors.

After the sorting hat decided that "Zabini, Farrah" was a Slytherin, Professor Longbottom took the Sorting Hat and the stool out of the room. The Headmistress, Professor McGonagall, gave a speech, welcoming back the old students and greeting the first years for the first time.

"So, you're a Gryffindor," James smiled at his younger cousin, once the speech was finished.

"Yeah," Rose replied. "But I'm confused. What happened with Albus?"

"I don't know," James said seriously. "I guess I shouldn't have teased him. The only reason I teased him is because I knew he wouldn't be in Slytherin."

"Don't blame yourself," Roxanne Weasley said from across the table. "You didn't do anything wrong. One comment wouldn't have changed his entire personality. He's an amazing person. There are good Slytherins."

"You're right," James said quietly. "Thanks, Rox."

"No problem, James," said Roxanne, smiling. "Now let's eat dinner!"