Planning a Party (with a Ferret Reference)

The next day, Rose entered the potions room and set up her cauldron. Before the class started Professor Slughorn approached both Rose and Scorpius.

"Hello, you two," Slughorn beamed. "How are both of you doing today?"

"Good," they replied, glancing curiously at Professor Slughorn.

"As you know, Halloween is coming up soon, and I was thinking about having a themed party for the members of my Slug Club. I was wondering if you'd like to help come up with ideas and set up. I've already asked the rest of the club, of course, but I thought it would be nice to have the Head Boy and Girl help a little. What do you say?"

"I'd love to," Rose said warmly, and Scorpius nodded in agreement.

"Excellent. The next Slug Club will be this afternoon."

"I'll see you then," Rose said, and Professor Slughorn strode to the front of the class.

"Today we will be making a Wit-Sharpening potion," he announced, waving his wand and making the instructions appear on the board. "Get to it!"

Rose exited her final class of the day, tucking a strand of red hair behind her ear. She started up one of the moving staircases and began heading towards the Gryffindor Common Room. She stepped through the portrait hole and found Hugo and Lily lounged on the couch, talking.

"Are you going to the Slug Club meeting today?" Rose asked, sitting down next to them.

"Yeah," Hugo groaned. "I don't really want to though. Seriously, a Halloween Party?"

"It'll be fun!" Lily shoved Hugo's arm. "We can dress up - ooh, I can go buy a new dress, I've been wanting one for ages-"

"Okay, Lils, we get it," Hugo grinned at his best friend, pulling her out of her reverie.

"We're having dinner with Slughorn then, aren't we," replied Rose dryly.

"I guess so," Lily said. "Well, we should probably get going. Rose, put your bag away and meet us back down here."

Rose walked up to her dormitory and set her bag on her bed before returning to the Common Room where Lily and Hugo were waiting. The trio descended down the stairs to Slughorn's office, where several students were already seated.

"Hello!" Professor Slughorn waved them over, and they took seats at the table. Rose chose a seat next to Al, trying to ignore the fact that Scorpius was on the other side of him.

"So," Professor Slughorn began after everyone had been seated. "Let's think of some ideas for themes for our party. I've been thinking of having it around Halloween, which gives us about a week. We need to come up with ideas for themes, decorations, dress codes..."

"We could do an orange theme," a third year boy suggested shyly. "You know, for autumn."

"We could also have pumpkins," was another suggestion.

"Leaves enchanted to fall from the sky!"

"But they'd vanish a few feet above everyone. We don't want a mess."

"We should do a costume party," said a first year excitedly. "Everyone can dress up. Maybe we should have the entire school do it, not just the Slug Club."

"That's an idea," beamed Slughorn. "I'll talk to the other teachers, okay?"

The rest of the younger students laughed excitedly, and Rose turned to Lily.

"That's not a bad idea," Lily said, smiling. "It'd be really fun actually. I haven't been to a costume party in a long time."

"We could add a memorial for your grandparents too," said Rose, deep in thought.

"We should," Hugo agreed, nodding his head enthusiastically.

"We should bring that up with Slughorn later," Lily replied.

"What do you think you'd dress up as?" Al asked them.

"If I dressed up as a ferret, I'm sure my father would be absolutely thrilled," Scorpius said, causing them all to burst into laughter.

AN: It took me way too long to post this, so sorry for that! Hope you enjoy!