A McLaggen?

As quietly as she could, Rose tiptoed back around the bookshelf and then left the library quickly. How had she convinced herself that she even had a chance of Scorpius liking her? Now that she thought about it, she didn't really like him either. Maybe Lily had convinced her that she did. She really wasn't sure.

Lost in thought, Rose ran straight into someone. As if she hadn't made a big enough fool of herself today.

"Sorry," Rose said quickly, backing away from whoever she'd run into. Just her luck - Aaron McLaggen.

"Hey, Rose," he said, stopping next to her in the middle of the corridor.

"Hello, McLaggen," she muttered.

"I was wondering if you'd go to the Halloween Ball with me," he said, and Rose's eyes widened in shock.

"I'll-" Rose started. "I'll think about it."

"Alright," McLaggen shrugged and walked past her towards the library.

Confused, Rose thought about her situation and weighed her options. It would look kind of sad if she showed up alone, especially as the Head Girl. But McLaggen? She thought about all the times that she and Albus had complained about him and how Albus said that Aaron McLaggen was probably Scorpius's least favorite person at the school. Wait...

"McLaggen?" Rose called out.

He turned around and raised an eyebrow at her. "Yes?"

"I thought about it. And my answer is yes."

Just because she wanted to make Scorpius jealous didn't mean she really liked him. Did it?

Rose entered the Gryffindor common room and sat on the overstuffed armchair next to Lily's.

"So..." Lily began. "Did you talk to him?"

"Nope," Rose replied, causing Lily to frown. "But I do have a date to the Halloween Ball."

"Who?" Lily asked, full of excitement. "Alejandro Lannen? He's a Ravenclaw, but he's nice and the captain."

"Aaron McLaggen," Rose grimaced.

"Seriously," Lily gagged. "Don't tell me you really like him."

"I don't," Rose assured her. "I'm just going with him because... I don't know."

"Come on, Rose," Lily groaned. "At least try to get with Scorpius. I know you like him."

"I don't," she said. "And he's obviously into Maureen, so-"

"He's not!" Lily insisted. "He and Albus hate her!"

"That's not what it looked like then he was snogging her face off in the library earlier today," Rose replied, annoyed.

"So that's where all this is coming from," Lily replied slowly, a devilish grin growing on her face.

"What?" Rose replied, confused.

"You're jealous," Lily said knowingly.

"I am not!" Rose said defensively.

"Whatever you want to believe," Lily shrugged, getting up from her chair. "But I think I know exactly what's going on."

"I'm not jealous of Maureen," Rose said disgustedly.

"Like I said," Lily said in a singsong voice, "whatever you want to believe."

"Anyways, are you going to the ball with anyone?" Rose attempted to change the subject.

"I was planning on asking Jay," she said. "He's a sixth year, and he's on the quidditch team so we talk sometimes. And he's nice, so Albus won't be too mad."

"That's what you get for having two overprotective older brothers," Rose grinned. "They scare all the other boys away."

"But seriously, Rose," Lily said, changing the subject again. "Scorpius does not like Maureen. I have no idea what's going on, but I know he doesn't."

"I don't care what Scorpius chooses to do with his life," Rose replied. "And I'm not interested in having this conversation."

"Seriously," Lily groaned. "Just listen to me."

"Why," Rose signed. "I don't have a chance with him. Besides, there are other guys I can date. Who aren't Slytherins and Al's best friend."

At dinner, Rose kept her eyes trained on a certain blonde Slytherin, watching the way he acted around Maureen. He honestly didn't seem interested at all. In fact, he seemed annoyed every time she turned towards him to run a hand through his hair or lean closer to him.

She honestly didn't know what to think. Scorpius and Al constantly complained about Maureen, and when they were in public he looked irritated about her. Then why were they making out in the library?

Rose sighed. Why did boys always say girls were complicated when it really was the other way around?