Heart to Heart

Rose got up early the next morning, full of excitement. She dressed quickly in her robes and skimmed through a book until Jessica and Emilia had woken up.

"Ready to go down to breakfast?" Rose asked, getting out of bed and grabbing her wand.

"Sure," Jessica said sleepily, rubbing her eyes and slipping on her robe.

Rose, Jessica, and Emilia walked out of the dormitory and to the Great Hall. Hundreds of witches and wizards laughed and talked while finding their seats.

"You two should head to the table and save me a seat, okay?" Rose said, looking at Jessica and Emilia. "I'm going to go talk to Albus."

"Sure," they replied, and walked over to the Gryffindor table.

Rose walked over to the Slytherin table, though she didn't particularly want to. The boy from yesterday, Flint was looking at her suspiciously, as if she would somehow bother the large group of Slytherins. Rose spotted Albus and hurried over to where he sat, next to Scorpius, a tall boy with brown hair named Alexander Nott, and a pretty girl with deep tan skin and curled brown hair that Rose recognized as Farrah Zabini.

"Hey, Albus," Rose said quietly, sliding onto the seat next to him. "I just want you to know that you being in Slytherin doesn't mean anything to me. I still want us to be close, to be best friends. I'll sneak you into me dormitory if I have to. We can study together... I just don't want anything to change."

"I know, Rose," Albus said. "You're my best friend, and I can't lose you. And houses don't mean anything."

Albus wrapped Rose in a big hug and she smiled. Maybe him being Slytherin wouldn't be too bad. It would just open up her mind. She smiled at him.

"See you later today. We have flying lessons together today. And potions."

"Okay, see you, Rose," Albus said as they finally let go of each other. "Thanks."

Rose waved to Albus and walked over to the seat that her new friends saved for her. An owl flew towards her and dropped a letter on her empty plate. When she opened it, she saw the familiar handwriting of her mother.

Dear Rose,

How do you like Hogwarts so far? I remember when I first came there, it was like a dream come true. I still remember everything exactly.

Neville wrote to me yesterday and told me about how you're a Gryffindor. No surprise there, I know you've always been brave. I'm so proud of you.

Don't worry about Albus. Uncle Harry and Aunt Ginny know, and they don't mind at all. As long as he's happy and doing well, is what they told me. Lily was surprised, but she said she was excited that we finally had a family member in Slytherin. I was a bit surprised to hear that, but I'm happy she's open minded.

Enjoy your classes and have fun! And don't forget to give Neville our love when you see him.

Love,

Mom, Dad, and Hugo

Rose tucked the letter into her pocket and made a mental note to write back to her family as soon as possible and tell them all about how she was doing.

"Letter from your family?" Jessica asked.

"Yeah," Rose replied, taking a piece of toast and spreading butter and jam on it. "I miss them but I love being here at the same time, if you know what I mean."

"I get it," said Emilia. "I feel the same way."

"I can't relate, but it makes sense," laughed Jessica. "My parents both work at Hogwarts, so I see them all the time."

Rose, Jessica, and Emilia finished their breakfast and headed to their first class of the day; charms.