Transfiguration Discussions

After that day on the grounds, a kind of tentative friendship formed between Rose and Al's friends. She and Farrah Zabini had gotten on particularly well, and they had actually gotten quite close over the last few days. Rose made a mental note to thank Albus for introducing them.

Rose yawned as she woke up the next morning, sun streaming in through the windows of the dormitory. As she opened her eyes, she noticed that she was the first person up. She took a shower, got dressed in her robes, tied her flaming hair into a braid, and returned to the dormitory, where Jessica, Emilia, and Aurelia had woken up and were ready to head down to breakfast.

Rose and her friends descended down the stairs to where a small group was yet again gathered in front of the cork board. Rose stepped forward to glance at the bright pink announcement pinned up.

"Hogsmeade trip this weekend," Rose informed Jessica, Aurelia, and Emilia.

"Fun," Emilia smiled. "Are you going with anyone?"

"Of course not," replied Rose. "I just found out about it now. And besides, the last time I went to Hogsmeade with a boy was last year, and you were the one who set it up. You'd know if I were going."

"Okay," smirked Em. "We'll see if you're right."

At breakfast, Rose sat next to Lily, picking at a strawberry pastry. Out of nowhere, Farrah slid into the seat beside her, looking rather amused.

"Albus asked me to talk to you about asking a particular girl to Hogsmeade today," Farrah informed her dryly, glancing in the direction of Emilia, who was engrossed in a conversation with Jess.

"No way," Rose gasped, gaping at Farrah. "He's going to ask Em to Hogsmeade?"

"It appears so," replied Farrah, looking as if she had a lemon under her nose. "And I had to be the owl."

"Just tell him to ask her. She fancies him. He fancies her. It works."

"Alright," Farrah said. "Al better not have me ask her for him."

"Tell him he has to do it," giggled Rose as Farrah left the table.

In Transfiguration, the class was working on conjuring spells, which were extremely difficult, even for Rose. She waved her wand in the correct motion, but nothing happened. She frowned and glanced at the table where the flask she had attempted to conjure hadn't appeared.

"Did Rose Weasley just fail a spell?" Asked Scorpius brightly, glancing over at her.

"Oh, be quiet," Rose glared at him before realizing he was joking.

"I'm kidding," Scorpius said, putting his hands up in mock surrender. Rose's lips twitched into a small smile.

"Sorry," she grinned, glancing at his unsuccessful attempts at the same spell.

"It's fine," he replied. "It's a difficult spell. I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to do the spell perfectly on their first try."

Rose picked up her wand and concentrated as hard as she could. She waved her wand in the motion that she was taught and said the incantation clearly. To her surprise and excitement, a small crystal goblet appeared in front of her. It was a bit misshapen, yes, but it was only her second attempt at the extremely difficult spell.

"See," Rose smiled at Scorpius. "I can do the spell."

"I only said you couldn't do it the first time," he replied, smirking. "I didn't say anything about after that."

"Well, let's see how you do," Rose said, looking expectantly at Scorpius. He rolled his eyes and pointed his wand at an empty spot on the table.

He muttered the incantation, but nothing happened. Rose's grin grew bigger and Scorpius raised his eyebrows at her.

"I can't concentrate when you're staring at me like that."

"I'm not staring at you," Rose laughed, blushing.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night," he smiled at her, showing off his perfect white teeth.

As they continued practicing their conjuring charms, Rose watched Scorpius finally succeed in conjuring a goblet.

"Class dismissed!" Professor Weasley, or Uncle Percy to Rose, called out at the end of class. "Remember, your essay about the practicality of conjuring and vanishing spells is due on Thursday!"

"Are you coming out to the grounds today?" Asked Scorpius, glancing at Rose. "You can bring your friends, you know."

"Sure," replied Rose. "I'll ask them and then meet your lot outside, okay?"

"Okay," said Scorpius, and they walked their separate ways down the hall.