s i x t e e n

tuesday 5:58pm
"ruby! sammy's here!" my mum yelled up the stairs. i groaned and shut my laptop.

i jogged downstairs in my sweatpants and tank top to see my mother all over the man i loved.

he looked up and grinned widely at me.

"hey!" he exclaimed, coming over to hug me. as his arms were around me, his lips moved close to my ear. "i missed you babygirl." he muttered.

"me too." i whispered back.

he pulled away, as to not arouse suspicion from my mother.

"so, sweetie, when's your date getting here?" my mother asked.

sammy coughed loudly. "your date?" he looked from me to my mother and back to me. "i didn't know you were bringing a date?"

i shot him a grim smile. "yep. my date. my boyfriend. jack."

as soon as i said his name, sammy's face dropped.

"well, do you want to go upstairs? you don't seem to be dressed properly." my mother stated.

i rolled my eyes. "fine."

as i was stalking up the stairs, i heard sammy tell my mother he was going to the bathroom.

i walked into my room and waited. within seconds, sammy burst in.

"what the hell?" he snapped. "to have someone pretend to be your boyfriend, i get it, but i specifically told you not jack!"

i sighed. "i know. i'm sorry. i just... i had no one else to ask."

sammy frowned, then pulled me in for a quick and gentle kiss.

"i still love you." he stated with a smile.

i giggled. "i love you too."

the doorbell rung and my eyes widened.

"go." i shooed him away. "make small talk for a few minutes."

"i'd rather stay here and help you change." sammy smirked, his arms snaking around my waist.

i rolled my eyes, but smiled all the same. "shut up and just go, will you?"

he quickly left the room and i hurriedly changed into a simple black romper and rushed back downstairs.

jack was awkwardly stood by the door, whilst my mother was gushing about me and sammy was shooting him death glares.

i cleared my throat. "uh, hi."

all three of them looked at me and i was met with a sea of smiles.

"ruby! i was just meeting your boyfriend." she turned to him. "jack, isn't it?"

he nodded and smiled politely. "yes ma'am. it's nice to meet you. thankyou for having me tonight."

she waved it off. "it's no problem!" she grabbed his hand and sammy and i both frowned. "come on! i made meatloaf."

i rolled my eyes and mimed gagging, causing sammy to chuckle as soon as they were out of earshot.

"you ready?" sammy asked me quietly.

i sighed and nodded. "i guess."

he leaned in and kissed my cheek. "it's okay. your mum's meatloaf isn't that bad." he joked.

i giggled.

we walked into the kitchen to see my mother and jack talking whilst she was taking a large tray out of the oven.

"so, tell me how you two met!" my mother exclaimed, placing the meatloaf in the middle of the table.

jack glanced over at me and i stared back, chewing nervously on my bottom lip.

"uh, we..."

"we met at school." jack stated smoothly. "and at the start of the summer, i called and asked if she wanted to hang out. and the rest was history." he chuckled.

i shot him a small smile and mouthed the word 'thankyou'.

"what about you two?" jack asked, gesturing to my mother and sammy.

she giggled. "oh, we met at my work. he came in to have a meeting with my boss, and things just escalated from there. it was like love at first sight."

sammy rolled his eyes when she wasn't looking.

"let's all sit down to eat." my mum insisted.

sammy went to sit down next to me, but my mum frowned.

"baby, come sit next to me." she pouted slightly.

he smiled thinly. "sure."

i watched him sit down next to my mum and her arm immediately went around his shoulders, making him flinch.

"we need to talk." jack muttered quietly as he sat down next to me. i nodded.

"can jack and i be excused for a second?" i asked my mum, who immediately nodded.

i followed him into the hallway.

"ruby... i know i said i was fine pretending to be your boyfriend, but i can't do this." jack stated.

i frowned.

"i can't sit back and watch that pervert hit on you. the way he looks at you, it makes me want to puke. you need to tell someone. what if he does something to you?"

i awkwardly stared at the floor, no words coming out of my mouth.

"wait... ruby. h-has he done something to you?"