t w e n t y - o n e

monday 9:03pm
"h-hey jack... i know it's been a while, b-but would you be able to pick me up?" i stuttered nervously into the phone.

"uh, yeah, one second." jack replied. i heard a door close and some muffled talking. "yeah, sure ruby. where are you?"

"i'm about a block away from my house." i answered quietly. "are you busy?"

"no, no, no. of course not." he murmured. "i'll been there soon, alright?"

"thanks jack." i whispered.

i sat on the curb and sighed. after a few minutes of twiddling my thumbs, jack's car pulled up next to me.

"hey jack." i smiled sadly at him.

"hey."

i threw my bags in the backseat then climbed into the passenger seat.

"do you want to talk about it?" jack asked me quietly.

"it's a long story." i replied honestly.

he took my hand and gently squeezed it. "we've got all night." he told me. "come on, let's get some food."

jack drove for around ten minutes, and we pulled up to a brightly lit café.

i followed him inside and we sat down in a small booth.

we ordered two coffees, then i began telling him everything.

"so, my mum... she, uh, passed away a few days ago. and sammy... he's just been acting so different." i stated. "he's been drinking a lot, and i just didn't know what to do. i had to get out."

jack placed his hand on top of mine and intertwined our fingers.

"i'm so sorry."

the waitress walked over and gave us our coffees.

"can i get you guys something to eat?" she asked cheerfully.

"can i get the blue ribbon burger?" jack asked with his signature charming smile. she looked a little flustered as she wrote his order down.

"i'll just take the chicken burger, thanks." i stated quietly.

the waitress nodded and walked off.

"okay ruby... we never finished our conversation from the other night." jack said.

"what conversation?" i asked.

"the one about sammy. you said that nothing had happened between you two, but i know you were bullshitting. i haven't told anyone about what you told me."

i gulped nervously. "i-if i tell you, you promise you won't say a word? and you won't judge me?"

"i promise, sweetheart." he replied softly.

"well, uh, sammy and i... we were seeing each other behind my mum's back." i admitted. "he would come over when she wasn't home, he took me out to nice places, and he told me he loved me."

jack's eyes were wide and his mouth was hanging open, but i wasn't finished yet.

"and a-after mum died... sammy told me... he never loved me and he was only pretending so he could get some action from both of us. that's why i left."

"ruby..." jack trailed off.

"i know it's such an awful thing for me to have done and i regret it so much. it was stupid and immature and i-"

he cut me off. "ruby, there's nothing i can say to make you feel better and to fix the situation, but i'm here for you. you fucked up majorly, but i'm still your friend."

i leaned over the table and pulled him into a hug. "thankyou." i whispered.

"you can stay with me for as long as you want, okay?" he murmured.

the waitress came back over and set down our food. she smiled flirtatiously at jack, then walked off.

"you're a good guy, jack." i muttered quietly, nibbling on one of my fries.

he glanced up and shot me a smile.

"i could've told you that."

quick a.n
bruhhhhhh i've had so many comments and messages to update this book and I totally get it coz i left you guys on such a cliffhanger.
a lot of you wanted more ruby and jack moments sooooooo yay here ya go!
(also ruby and sammy shippers dw shit is gonna go down ;))
thank y'all for reading, your comments make my day <3