e i g h t e e n

thursday 1:45am
i lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, thoughts racing through my mind.

i couldn't sleep.

sammy had left hours ago and downstairs my mother was tucking in to yet another glass of wine. 

i would go down and join her, but i can't stand company right now.

especially not her.

yes, i was jealous. i always had been. my mother was a selfish, rude person and yet she had the most perfect man in the world.

only he was perfect for me, not her.

he needed someone young and exciting, spontaneous and sexy, not a practically ancient woman with greying hair and slippers who played bingo once a month.

i'm not even joking.

she said something like "hanging around with her seniors makes her feel ten years younger."

i think she just likes the free drinks.

i wish something, anything, would happen so me and sammy could be together with no problems.

i ran a hand through my hair, humming a quiet tune.

"ruby!" i heard a scream from downstairs.

i frowned, getting up and slowly making my way downstairs.

my eyes widened at the sight before me. my mother, laying on the ground, with a heavy cabinet pinning her down. her eyes were closed and she wasn't moving.

i screamed and ran forward, trying my hardest to lift the wooden cabinet off of her.

my struggles were to no avail.

i sprinted upstairs to grab my phone and call an ambulance.

"h-hi, i need help, i don't know what happened but my mum w-was drunk and i think a cabinet fell over and it's crushing her, a-and i can't lift it. please help!" i shrieked into the phone.

"ma'am, i'll have to ask you to calm down. i'll send an ambulance. it'll be there soon." the woman on the other end said soothingly.

"m-mum, it's going to be okay." i murmured, sitting beside her. "i called an ambulance; it'll be here soon."

her eyes were still shut, and her breathing was jagged.

tears rolled down my cheeks as i dialled a number.

"hello?"

"s-sammy?"

"ruby? what's wrong? a-are you crying?"

"mum, she's, uh- can you just come over? please?"

"of course, baby."

i hung up the phone, my eyes watering with fresh tears.

within five minutes, the doorbell rang and i let sammy in.

"what's wrong?" he asked, his eyes full of concern.

i grabbed his hand and hurriedly led him into the next room.

"please help me." i begged.

sammy immediately nodded and leaned down to lift the cabinet off of the still body.

"mum." i sobbed, crouching down.

i heard a knock on the door and sammy rushed to open it. several paramedics marched into the room with a stretcher.

i watched, helpless, as they picked her up and carried her outside.

sammy pulled me into a tight hug, but i couldn't even hug him back. i was still in shock.

"hey, hey, hey." he whispered in my ear. "it's okay. everything's going to be fine."

my sobs increased.

when i said i wanted something to happen, i didn't mean anything like this.

"do you want to go to the hospital and stay there or go in the morning?" sammy murmured.

i didn't say anything, only whimpered.

"come on." he whispered, taking my hand and leading me upstairs.

he took me into my bedroom.

"i'm going to help you change, okay?"

i nodded slowly and he helped me pull my dress off. he dressed me in one of my t-shirts and i lay down on my bed.

"everything will be fine." sammy repeated.

i watched him pull off his shirt, but for once, even his gorgeous body couldn't distract me.

he turned off the lights and lay down on the bed with me. his arms wrapped around my body in a tight but comforting embrace.

i snuggled my head into his chest.

"i love you, sam." i whispered.

even thought it was dark, i could tell he was smiling.

"i love you too, baby."