t w e n t y - e i g h t

dad looking fine as ;))

wednesday 11:32am
i rolled over in bed, the bright light from the sun streaming through the blinds and causing me to wince.

i propped myself up on my elbow and grabbed my phone, quickly scrolling through my notifications. nothing interesting.

i then realised the time.

shit. i have to see sammy.

i jumped out of bed and rushed over to the closet. after debating through several outfits, i grabbed my black jeans and a plain black t-shirt.

quickly changing, i slipped into a pair of sneakers before rushing into the bathroom.

i applied a small amount of makeup, enough to make myself look decent. i quickly brushed my teeth and hair, then sprayed on some perfume.

i grabbed my keys and phone, rushing downstairs.

i called an uber to take me to sammy's. my phone said the uber would be arriving in two minutes, thankfully.

i had a quick glass of water to calm my nerves, then left the house and waited by the curb.

the car pulled up and i hopped in the backseat, sending a smile to my driver before pulling my phone out.

a text came through from sammy, making me sigh.

sammy - i can't wait to see you

i rolled my eyes.

me - i don't know what you expect. we're just going to talk

the car pulled up to sammy... and my old house. i thanked the driver and stepped out of the car, quickly giving him a five-star rating before making my way up to the front door.

i raised a fist and knocked.

within seconds, the door opened and sammy grinned at me.

"hey! come in, come in!" he insisted, opening the door wider.

i stepped inside. my heart stopped as i stared around the house i used to call my home.

memories started flashing through my head.

first meeting sammy when he got engaged to my mum.

the first time we spent the night together.

him making me dinner and hiding under the table when mum came home early.

spending the weekend in the hotel.

our dinner when jack pretended to be my boyfriend.

i felt a smile take over my face.

"did you want to sit?" sammy offered, gesturing towards the couch.

i hesitantly sat down, faint memories still dancing in my head.

"so, ruby..." he trailed off. "i miss you."

i sighed. "i-i miss you too, sammy."

his face lit up.

"really-"

"that doesn't mean i want to move back in. it also doesn't mean i'm leaving jack for you. he loves me, sam."

"do you love him?" he asked nervously.

i nodded. "i do."

"did he... has he..?"

i frowned. "no, sammy. that hasn't happened yet. not that it's any of your business."

he then took a deep breath.

"look, ruby. i know i fucked up. a lot." he began. "i am so sorry, you have no idea. i can't stop thinking about you. you're all that's on my mind. i can't sleep properly, i haven't been eating-"

my face softened. "you haven't been eating?"

he shrugged. "not really, no."

i stood up and promptly made my way to the kitchen. glancing in the fridge, i pulled out a couple items.

sammy walked into the room, leaning against the doorframe and looking at me curiously.

"what're you doing?"

"making you something to eat." i stated. "i may not-" i hesitated. "-love you anymore, but i still care about your wellbeing. now sit."

he obliged and sat on one of the bar stools.

i quickly made him up a simple cheese omelette. placing it in front of him, he sent me a grateful smile.

"i don't deserve you."

i sighed. "no... no, you don't."

i watched him eat for a few seconds, before snapping back to reality.

"i have to go."

sammy bolted up. "already?"

"yeah. jack should be home soon. he doesn't know that i'm here." i replied honestly.

"let me drive you." sammy offered.

i nodded.

we left the house together. i got into the passenger seat of his car and immediately plugged my phone into the aux cord.

sammy smirked at me as i pressed shuffle on my playlist.

after a few minutes of driving and listening to my trashy music, he lowered the volume and glanced over at me.

"ruby."

"yeah?"

"you know i still care about you, right?"

"yeah."

"i care about you a lot. i'm always here for you. if you ever need me, if anything ever happens with jack... i'll be there. i know you don't love me anymore. i can get past that." he sighed. "but i still want you in my life."

he pulled up alongside jack's house.

"just... if you need me, call me, okay?"

i looked over at sammy. he was smiling sincerely.

"okay."