n i n e t e e n

friday 8:39am
i was sat in the hospital waiting room in an uncomfortable chair, impatiently tapping my nails on the plastic.

"i've got your coffee." sammy walked over, handing me a foam cup.

i took a sip and weakly smiled. "thanks."

"any news?" he asked worriedly.

i shook my head.

we'd been in the waiting room for about 24 hours, and they weren't telling us anything. sammy kept asking if i wanted to go home, but i couldn't. i couldn't leave her.

i nervously chewed on my bottom lip.

a woman in scrubs walked out into the waiting room, a clipboard in her hands.

"mr wilkinson?" she called out.

sammy practically jumped out of his chair and rushed over to her.

"yes?"

"your fiancé has just gotten out of surgery. i'm afraid she... she made it-"

"that's great!" sammy exclaimed, cutting her off. he turned to me and pulled me into a hug.

"sir, please listen to me. she made it through the surgery, but only just. we anticipate she doesn't have much longer to live." the nurse stated.

sammy's face dropped and he let go of me.

my knees felt weak. i couldn't breathe.

"m-mum..." i murmured.

sammy took my hand and we followed the nurse. i felt like my soul had been ripped out of my body.

we walked into a hospital room to see my mother laying in the small bed, her breathing jagged.

"mum." i ran towards her bed.

"ruby... i want you to live with sammy. he's going to take care of you. he's a good man." she croaked.

i nodded.

"sammy, i love you. promise me you'll never remarry." she insisted.

his eyebrows raised. "uh, i..."

"promise." she snapped.

sammy nodded quickly. "um, yeah."

she smiled. "good. i love you both. i'll see you soon." as she said those words i grabbed her hand.

"mum, no-"

and with that, her eyes closed and the machine started to beep loudly and irregularly.

"no!" i shrieked.

sammy gently grabbed my arm and pulled me away. tears were rolling down my face as we walked out of the hospital together.

yes, me and my mother never had the best relationship, but if you've ever lost someone close to you, you'll know how i was feeling.

"sammy..."

he turned to me. "yeah?"

"what do we do now?" i asked quietly.

he sighed. "i don't know."

we both got into his car and i curled up in my seat.

"do you wanna go get some food?" sammy asked softly. "you haven't eaten anything."

i sighed. "okay."

"we can just grab a burger, alright? then we can go home and watch south park." he teased.

i managed a small smile. "i'd like that."

we drove to the nearest mcdonalds, and pulled up at the drive thru.

"hey, can i get a ten-pack of chicken nuggets, two cheeseburgers, and two large fries. oh, and one coke." sammy ordered. he then turned to me. "so, what do you want?"

i giggled loudly. "just get me some nuggets, you asshole."

"alright, we'll change that ten pack to a twenty, and i'll get three large fries instead of two."

we drove to the next window, quickly paid, and was handed two brown paper bags.

i grabbed a chicken nugget and took a bite, smiling.

sammy glanced over at me and i could've sworn a happy smile came over his face.

he almost looked relived.

i continued to eat for the rest of the ride home. as i let myself in the front door, my eyes locked onto the cabinet that was still laying on the floor.

"sammy, can we throw that out?" i muttered.

"of course, babe." he promised, kissing my cheek. i squealed as he picked me up bridal style and took me to my room.

we both curled up in bed, and before i could pull out my laptop, sammy was snoring.

i smiled at the sight.

in this moment, even though everything had gone to shit, i knew i'd be okay.

as long as i had him.

quick a.n
heyo this is like my 1st authors note so eeeeee whassup. thankyou all so much for reading, i never thought i'd get this many reads and votes and all that shiz.
anyways i recently started year 11 and i fucking hate it so updates may be slow (even tho they were never fast in the first place whoops)
aNYWAYS thankyou for reading woooo