The Night Of Doom

I stroke his soft brown hair, almost in a trance. There are too many things on my mind right now and I'm literally breaking down. I can't withstand all this by myself. Right now, at this very moment, I need my mate more than ever. I haven't felt this way ever since the day I became an orphan. The day I lost my grandmother. 

It's been hours since the war died down. Its almost eleven in the night and Xalvador isn't up yet. I don't even know if he will be. His wounds aren't healing yet and he is still as a corpse.

 I took care of a few things in the past few hours. I thanked Kane and realized that he is back to being his old self again, only he doesn't hate Xalvador or me anymore. I made sure all the wounded wolves got proper treatment and food. Marcel brought the women and children back, all of them safe and sound. Seeing them rejoining and crying for their mates made me smile and broke my heart at the same time. The funeral for all the wolves and enemies is scheduled for tomorrow morning. And it kills me when I think that Xalvador might be one of them. No no!

I shake my head as I clear my thoughts. I can't lose hope. Not on him. Not on Maisie. I lay my head on the bed, by his ear, my hands still entwined with his. 

"Come back to me Xal. I know you're too tired but once you try, you will heal fast. Listen to my voice, come back to me Xalvador. I can't lose you after everything. This pack needs you, I need you. Just fight it okay? Every time you feel like giving up, follow my voice and remind yourself that I'm waiting for you. Your sugar bun." I keep whispering until I feel my eyes drooping.

 After what seems like an eternity, I feel his finger graze the back of my hand ever so slightly, I doubt if the movement even happened.

I jolt up and look at him, desperate and hopeful. When I almost think I was dreaming about the movement, his eyes flutter. I gasp as he slowly wakes up. His fingers enclose around my hand and I smile with tears brimming my eyes. I see slight color return to his face as the wounds finally start healing!

"You're alive. You made it!" I cry as I hug him. And just like that, every nerve in my body is alive again. Fiana is back, dancing in happiness. I feel complete. That is the power of the mate bond. He groans and I realize what I'm doing. But as I try to pull back, he hugs me back tighter and I smile again.

"I was so afraid I'd lose you," I whisper, crying now.

"Me too baby," Xalvador replies in a raspy voice and the sound is music to my ears.

Within minutes, I see him recovering. Being an Alpha, he heals faster than an average wolf and that is something I'm so grateful for! He sits up and I force him to eat. We both eat and then I hug him again. His lips skim over my mark and I close my eyes in bliss.

"I love you sugar bun."

"And I love you," I say as I look at him, alive and smiling again. 

"Everything is going to be alright now." He says as he places a kiss on my lips. His words hit me hard as I realize just how wrong he is.

"Hey hey hey, what's wrong?" Xalvador asks with concern as I cry. Not with happiness this time.

"It's Maisie," I answer as I recall my meeting with her a few hours ago.

"Not for long. I'm not gonna be here for long." She whispers.

"Maisie what are you talking about?!" I exclaim, confused wondering if she was joking.

"I'm exhausted, Arabella. I feel like my soul has left my body, the spell did it. I feel lifeless and I can't move."

"No no no shut up okay! You're my best friend and you are not dying. You are gonna fight through this and live. I'll get you some food." I state and get up. Maisie's fingers wrap around mine and I halt.