Chapter 1: Radical changes

I didn't know where I was heading. Encroached by fear, I was running through darkness in a desperate attempt to escape the ever-growing myriad of people that were after me.

I knew this was a dream. It had to be. But I had no ability to control it. As usual, the only thing I could do was to hide in the darkness. Although they could also find me there, it was still the only place where they could not tell who I was and where they could not touch me. It was as if a force beyond any reach – a fathomless power, one that I could not see but I felt floating into the open air – pushed them away, as they were getting too close to me. And then, there was he: the tall blue-eyed guy, the only one who didn't frighten me and who gave me a sense of security.

But it was the protection I felt in darkness that really gave me the shivers and augmented all my fears. And I hated that just as much as I hated not knowing what was happening to me.

And just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, things took a completely new turn, as I woke up with aunt Meya in my room.

'We need to talk!'

'Now? I know you are crossed with my parents but couldn't you have chosen a more reasonable hour?'

'Just listen to me!'

She appeared to be agitated. Her hands were moving steadily.

'Talk to my folks', I babbled. 'Let me get back to sleep!'

The blanket that was covering me just rolled over by itself. By itself! I didn't see Meya moving.

That's when I realised things just weren't right. I instantly snapped out of drowsiness.

Something was happening.

'Put some clothes on you! You have to come with me'.

I stared at her baffled. After all it was 2 am.

'Your parents have been trying to keep you away from me because we are alike. But I cannot give up on my niece when she needs me. Don't tell me you are not at all curios to know more about yourself, you little witch?'

I jumped out of my skin as the cabinet doors opened noiselessly all by themselves. The clothes and some of my stuff shuffled into a suitcase that was not mine and in less than a minute my luggage was ready.

I was in shock, watching the entire scene, unable to tell if this was a dream. It was happening much too fast for me to get a grasp of anything.

'But...this is impossible', I whispered in trembling voice.

'Anything is possible', said someone behind me.

It seems Meya was not alone. A girl, whom I thought to be my age, was also invading my privacy. She was tall and slender; hair down to shoulders, straight and jet black, triangular face shape and eyes the colour of the hair.

'And who are you?' I asked revolted.

'Christine, I told you to wait in the car.'

What did my aunt want? Did she want me to run away with her? To leave my parents and... No way. I realised I knew very little about this woman, too little to trust her much. And this girl just kept smiling. She was in such a merry mood and so energetic that it infuriated me.

I went towards the door.

'I am not going anywhere with you.'

'I thought you said she would be easy to convince. '

Just one look from aunt Meya made that girl swallow her words.

I yelled as loud as I could and my parents stormed into the room. They did not seem too surprised to see my aunt – as if they were expecting this. Were they?