Chapter 10: Face-to-face with Baldric

I woke up on a hospital bed with a blonde nurse staring at me. She was short and had her long hair tied in a bun. Her smooth face did not have any makeup on it. She had brown eyes and freckles and she did not look older than twenty. She was a nice sight.

I had a cannula in my right arm. My palm and wrists had bandages on. Those chains had been really tight, no joke about it. I nearly jumped out of my skin just thinking about that bad memory. I was in a blue hospital gown which was absolutely hideous.

This girl said something which appeared to be in Greek and I could not understand any of it.

'English?' I asked her in hoarse voice which did not even seem to be mine.

'Yes. How are you feeling?'

'It's strange but I don't have any pain.'

'That's a good thing.'

'Where am I?'

'Palaiochora.' She could probably see how puzzled I was because she went on explaining. 'It's a small town south of Crete.'

'Great...I said to myself.'

'I have to go. I'll let everyone know that you are awake. A...the policemen have some questions for you. Do you think you're up for a discussion with them now?'

'I have nothing to talk to them about...'

'It's obvious that something bad happened to you. Who were you trying to run from? Some fishermen found you. You did not look so good when you got here. We only want to help you.'

'Do you really want to help me?' I asked.

'Of course. You have nothing to worry about. Everything is going to be alright. The policemen are going to find the people who tried to harm you.'

Yes...exactly how I had imagined it. I probably looked like a girl who had just escaped from the hands of the kidnaper.

'Aaa, can I borrow your phone? I have to talk to my parents.'

'Of course. Give us their phone number and we'll let them know where you are and what happened. By the way, what happened to you? And what is your name?'

'Aaa...'I shrugged my shoulders. 'I don't remember. I just want to go home.'

'You really don't remember anything?' She asked looking very sceptical. 'And how is it that you remember your parents' phone number?'

Damn it! She had figured it out. I was not good at this at all.

'I mean to say that I do not remember how I got in this state. I remember everything else; my memories have not been affected. My name is Katelyn Lambert and I came here on vacation with my parents. Please, I just want to make a call.'

'Make it a short one', she said. 'And I don't know anything about this.'

Go figure, none of my parents answered their phone. Perhaps they were in one of those missions that they never talked about.

This was very sad. Now that I needed them I considered them to be my parents.

I admit that I am selfish and that I have let down the people that raised me from a young age. I chose to play the victim and to trust the wrong person. I did not deserve their help or their forgiveness. It did not matter if they were my biological parents or not. "I am sorry. I am so sorry", that's how I started the message that I left to my father as I was trying not to burst into tears. I knew that words were not enough. Father always used to tell me that words are just the first step you take. It is the facts that matter. "You were right all along and I screwed up. I cannot talk for long. I need your help. I am in Palaiochora, south of Crete. Aaa. And I am in the hospital but don't worry, I am alright. Now...I think...Aaa...I have to go."