Chapter 20: Surprise attack

After Christine and I went our separate ways, I headed slowly towards my room. Everything around me was moving. Getting back to the party did not sound like a very good plan. Moreover, I was no longer in the mood.

I did not want to think about anything. Not now, when I knew that tomorrow I would start worrying about so many things. Consequently, I stopped and lied on the floor. I did not care that I would get dirt on my new dress. I set my mind on nothing and just stayed there, peacefully, gazing at the sky, until someone dared to disturb me.

'Katelyn, what are you doing here?'

When I saw Eric, I realized that it was already too late to try to hide the bottle in my hand. I don't know why I had not already thrown it away. It was empty.

'I am enjoying the nature. You could try doing this every once in a while. It would loosen up that state of constant irritability of yours.'

'In the middle of the night? Is that a bottle of alcohol?'

'And there goes my moment of silence.'

'Stand up! I will take you to your dormitory. You do know you have practice tomorrow from 8 a.m., don't you?'

This seemed to be so funny. I was so calm and he was so agitated. Eric is really cute, damn it.

He leaned over and took the bottle away from me.

'You drank it all?'

I laughed. I could not help it. His serious tone of voice seemed so funny to me. As if I had done something really bad.

'You know, I would get up if I could. But everything is moving around me. This is really cool.' He helped me get up and I stumbled a bit before I could find my balance.

'I thought this teenager time had passed; that you are no longer carefree and that having fun is not your only concern.'

'I am twenty-three, not thirty, buddy.'

'Buddy?'

Eric laughed.

'I am not one of your buddies. I am your professor and your coordinator. You are in my care; you are my responsibility.'

Perhaps I was dizzy, but I was not stupid.

'The coordinator of my magic, better said.'

'Katelyn, I want you to understand that you are not in a normal campus; you are not a normal student; you cannot do certain things. I know this is all new to you, but you are a witch, and not just any witch, but one with great powers. You have to start treating things up to this standard.'

'Aha...' I said ironically.'

'I don't know why I even bother anymore. We'll talk about this when you are no longer drunk.'

I did not say anything. What was the point? Eric doesn't take me seriously under normal circumstances, not to mention now.

'I don't want to see you like this again', he said to me when we arrived at the dormitory. 'I don't want you hurting yourself. You have already been through a lot.'

'Pfff...Don't pretend that you care about me one bit. If there was any way for me to give you my magic without, you know...ending up dead, I would do it in the blink of an eye...and you would no longer need me.'

Eric took me by the arm and pulled me angrily to him.

'You don't know anything, Kate! Don't ever say this stupid thing again!' He said and then he left.

'I will be there at 8 a.m.', I shouted, although I had no idea where 'there' was. 'I mean...text me the location' I shouted even louder, but he did not say anything more.