Chapter 22: Confessing my feelings for Eric

I was in Eric's office. He and Mystic were waiting for me to say something, but I had no idea with what to begin. I did not think that things could be any weirder than they were, but that is when I saw the framed picture on Eric's desk. I took it up to have a better look. I don't know how, but I had seen before the girl who was arm in arm with Eric. In the old lady's house, before I dozed off. They were both so happy. In fact, I have never seen Eric smile with all his heart, as he was in that picture.

'Who is she?' I asked.

'My sister', Eric replied. 'Now please, put the photo back and tell us what happened.'

But his sister was dead...I did not know what to do. Should I tell him that I saw her? I would only be reopening old wounds. He would not believe me anyway. In fact, until now, I thought that I was only imagining it. I was going to tell Mystic later and she will decide what to do with it. She knows him better.

'I don't have all day, you know!' He sounded so cold.

'After you dropped me off outside the dormitories, I went to my room and there...well, there was someone waiting for me. I did not get to see my attacker or attackers. All I know is that I woke up in the woods and that it took me a while to find my way back to the dormitory.' I told the story quite fast adjusting it a bit. If I had told them about the old woman, then they would find out about Sarah and that would lead them to Baldric.

Eric came next to me. He brushed the hair off my forehead and took off the band-aid.

'Ouch.'

'Sorry', Eric said. 'You are hurt. What did they do to you?', he asked me while examining the wound on my forehead. 'Hm...it seems well cleaned but I will still have to take you to the medical office to have it checked.'

'I am alright', I lied and moved back a few steps. 'You don't have to get protective on me.'

Mystic was not saying anything. The expression on her face made me wonder if she somehow felt that there was more to this story than what I was telling.

'I will ask Amanda to have you checked. As soon as she has told me that you are well, that is when I will believe you and I will relax about it.'

'My powers are safe', I said ironically.

'This had better be the last time you say that, Katelyn! Eric has done everything for you. We both have and you continue lying to us and playing the victim.'

'Then we have something in common, sister.'

Her jaw dropped. She was not expecting this. To be honest, neither did I. I had managed to distract them from our main discussion and to make it easy for myself. At least now, I would not have to explain to Mystic why I had lied. Although I have a feeling that I won't be able to avoid this discussion too long.

I could have called Mystic or Eric to help me, but why had I chosen to call Baldric instead? Is it because I did not want Eric's pity? The last thing I wanted was for him to behave nicely to me because he pitied me.

'I am trying to figure out what is going on here', Eric said.

'The medallion was the first thing that made you wonder, wasn't it? You have a similar one. After that, you took the DNA test. I know that because I followed you when we went shopping. The lady at the Generic Lab reception office gave us all the information. Christine cast a spell on her. When are you getting back the results?'

'You followed me?' Mystic said angrily.

'Don't worry. It may be negative.'

'She cannot be your sister', Eric said. 'She would have to be about your age. Moreover, you are the only one who made it out alive back then in Kaeillindor.'