Chapter 18: At Baldric's mercy

We walked for almost two hours; we were about to give up when the light became brighter in the parking lot of a large building called Genetic Lab.

'Why would Mystic come here?' I asked Christine.

'I don't know, but let us find out.'

As expected, the blonde woman in the reception office told us with a smile on her face that she cannot provide us with any information, because it is all confidential.

'And now, what do we do?'

'We use a bit of magic.'

'Let me guess. Meya taught you?'

'She also did something good in her life.'

After Christine made her spell, the receptionist became a bit more open to discussions. These are the times when I can say that I love magic.

'Try and see and what you can find by the name of Mystic. Abner?'

'I am sorry. I have nothing by that name.'

'What about if I showed you a picture of her?'

'Of course; I think it would help.'

'Kate, tell me you have a picture of her in your phone.'

'I wish I had. Perhaps we should just forget about it. I don't even know what I was expecting to find anyway. I mean...we should not be meddling into Mystic's life...it is just that...I have this feeling about it...and it is frightening me.

'No way. We did not come all this way for nothing; moreover, I don't want to think that I've missed out on a good shopping session for no good reason. I am texting Maggie; she'll take a picture of Mystic as soon as she gets there, no matter what excuse she comes up with; she'll send it to us.'

'Christine, you are officially the best!'

'I know.'

'Aaa...and what do we tell Mystic when she realises that we are not where we said we were?'

'She won't be able to tell that. We will grab a taxi and be there right away.'

She was smiling.

'I like your optimism. It is really contagious, I might say.'

Half an hour later, we got the photo.

'I remember her', the receptionist said when we showed her the photo.

'Hm...so she had used a false name; or was this her true name?'

Christine was no longer smiling.

'What is it?'

'Well...this was Meya's last name before she got married. She kept her husband's name after his death.'

Ok...yes...this is strange, but is does not mean that there is any connection.

'I did not know that. As you know, she and I did not really have a very close relationship and my parents have never spoken to me about her. And now I understand why...'

'Why did Miss Seamour come here?' Christine asked.

'For a sibling test. She wants to find out if she and a certain Miss Katelyn Lambert are sisters.'

I felt my whole world collapsing.

'Can you repeat that name? I am sure I did not hear it right. I imagined it, didn't I, Christine?'

'Sure. Katelyn Lambert.'

'But...that is me...It cannot be...Something is surely wrong.'

'Thank you very much for the information. This is my email address. Please send me a copy of the results when they are ready.'