Chapter 27: The battle

I remained in the house with Christine and Maggie. I knew I could not just sit and wait while the lives of all the others were in danger.

'I have to go', I finally told them.

'You are not going anywhere. The morhs are crawling through the campus; you cannot take such a big risk.

'I am coming with you', Maggie said.

'What is wrong with you girls?' Christine picked on us. 'We are not powerful enough. We are only going to screw things up.'

'The morhs will not hurt me. They think I am their leader and that means that I will be safe.'

'No, no, no. This is totally wrong.'

'Come one, sister. Stop trying to act the grownup. Tell me you don't want to get some of the action.'

'Fine. If Baldric asks, at least he'll know that I tried to keep you girls in the house. We need a plan. If we meet a morh and Kate's tested theory works, then there will be a moment when they are in a trance, taking bows and all that. Maggie and I will take advantage of the situation and kill them; we'll take them by surprise.'

'I can also kill them', I said.

'No, you cannot. If you attack them, there is a chance that they might regard you as an enemy and that will be the end of our upper hand.'

'Ok', I said. 'Let's go. It is just that...'

Maggie asked the question we all wanted an answer to.

'How do you kill a morh?'

'Do you take his head off?' Christine asked.

'These are legendary creatures. It is going to be rather difficult to get close to them and cut off their head, sister.'

'What about if we do the spell that crazy Debbie used against me? This will weaken them. We take some sharp objects and use magic to send them straight into their necks. Maggie, you are very good at moving objects. Take a bag and put in it all the sharp objects you can find in the kitchen.'

'I know what spell Debbie used against you. Baldric taught me, although it is forbidden to use it. He said that this is the best way of putting your adversary to the ground. He taught me some other tricks and spells.'

'Good', I said '... I think that ...we can go.'

Two minutes later, Maggie came with a bag flying after her. I looked skeptical at her.

'What? The extra time I have been spending at the library has really paid off. I am a witch. Do you have any idea how heavy this bag is? I'm guessing you don't want me to carry it.'

'I am the only one here who doesn't know any spells?'

'Kate, you only have to feel, you don't need to learn spells. You can do anything, don't you forget that. Moreover, I will help you. I will use my power to make you feel better. You have to get ready; you will feel worse the closer you get to the morhs.'

'When we left the house, we could feel the air imbued with the smell of the morhs. I was already so used to it that I could actually refrain from puking. We ran into Baldric's men who were standing outside the door.

Oh, I had forgotten about them.

'What do you think you are doing? We got strict orders not to let you go away.'

'We have to talk to Baldric urgently. Can either of you send him a message from us?' I lied. That was the first thing that came into my mind.

'I am sure it can wait. As I said, we got strict orders that neither of us should leave from here.'