Chapter 6: Word of the day

I woke up in my room. My body was numb as if I had slept through the entire day.

'Two days actually', said the big guy who had been guarding outside Maggie's door. Until now at least, because for some stupid reason he had moved his watch post a few doors away.

'Is this a bad joke or what?'

He looked at me with a face resembling a scared puppy.

'I don't understand what you mean.'

I was about to snap. Two days had just flown by. Who knows what had happened; important stuff maybe? No, definitely important. And I have been spending these past two days in bed like a dumb, during the worse time possible.

'What are you doing here?'

He looked at me puzzled.

'I am working?!'

This is clearly not the best day for me.

'Yes, I can see that.' I wanted to leave but he positioned himself in front of me. 'Is there a problem or what? Move aside! You've caught me in a bad mood today.'

'I'm sorry but I was told to...'

'I don't care what you were told but I do not need some guy standing outside my door. Go and guard something else! You're obviously wasting your time here.'

'Your aunt Meya' – I flinched at the sound of her name – 'she asked me to let her know when you woke up. She wants to talk to you before you can exit the room.'

'Good choice of words. The room! Not the cell!'

I looked at him angrily and signalled him to leave but he would not budge. He was serious about his job. He really wanted to push my nerves to the maximum.

'Do you really not understand that I cannot let you leave the room?'

'Get out of here!' I yelled at him.

'Enough, Kate!' A voice resounded in the hallway.

Meya; she was the one I was actually furious with and not this guy that I had just latched out on.

'I am sorry...'I said to him, realising that he was only doing his job.

When Meya showed up before me I just froze. I simply blocked not knowing what to do. She no longer had that loving and caring aunt expression on her face. She looked down at me as if I were the lowest being in the world when in fact it was the other way around.

When she got closer to me she made this face as if I had a bad smell or something. Seriously? 180 degrees flip in her expression. And this is her real face; that of a truly evil crazy and despicable woman. There was so much I wanted to say to her but I was sure that my voice would have trembled had I attempted to say anything. This woman really frightened me.

'I am not going to hide behind words so I'll get straight to the matter. I know all your moves Katelyn Lambert. Don't think that I do not know where you were two nights ago. I am glad that you assisted my show' – 'Thank you', she said and then bowed – 'but I also wish you had not found out. Not yet at least. Now this is how it's going to play out. You keep your mouth shut and no one will get hurt. You were not there, do you understand dear? Oh, I almost forgot. You can say goodbye to Eric.'

'What did you do?' I shouted at her.

'My dear Kate, I think it's best if you'll be a good girl, or else...'

'Or else, what?'

'I don't think you want to find that out', she said and left pulling the door behind her.