Chapter 26: When the man you love ends up hating you

'Good morning, dear.'

The first face I saw in the morning was Debbie's. She showed up behind me in the kitchen.

'What are you doing here? I thought you were supposed to be in bed, in the emergency room', I said ironically to her.

'Eric made sure that I got better sooner. Last night, he got me out of that depressing room and brought me to sleep with him. He personally took care of me, if you know what I mean.'

I tried to ignore what she had said to me but it obviously hurt. Then I realized that Eric had a surveillance camera in the kitchen. Perhaps I could get something out of her. It did not matter anymore if Eric believed me or not, since he had doubted me the first time, but at least I would be shutting this crazy woman up.

'Debbie, I really don't give a damn.'

It was time for me to stir her up a bit.

'I don't think you don't care.'

'I am curious about something. How did your phone end up in my room?'

'That is something you should tell me.'

'Come on, Debbie. It's just us two. You don't have to pretend around me.'

She threw her glass of water on the table and came towards me.

She grabbed me by the neck. She probably wanted to sound even more menacing. I did not fight back. She would not risk hurting me here.

'Listen to me good, little girl. Eric is mine, do you understand? You had better move your stuff from his home and get lost from this campus asap.'

Then I felt her fingers squeezing harder and harder. Debbie was crazy and she did not care about the consequences. I tried to push her away but, for some reason, she was very strong. It felt as if I was fighting a tough man, three times my size. I cried for help and that made her very amused.

'Go ahead and scream; no one is home.'

I looked desperately around the kitchen trying to think of a spell or something so that I could fight back; I just did not know enough about my magic. Moreover, it had acted on its own most of the times. I had sliced up a lemon for my tea and that meant that the knife had to be on the countertop behind me. I reached and grabbed it before the crazy one realized what I was doing; I stuck the knife into her abdomen.

'Let me go, I said in coarse voice.'

The crazy woman continued to squeeze. It was either me or her; without thinking it further, I pushed the knife into her and blood came out instantly. She looked at me shocked. She had expected me only to threaten her and not do anything. She took her hand off my neck and put it on her belly trying to stop the bleeding.

I could not move. I remained there with the knife in my trembling hand. Debbie deserved the worst but I did not want to have another person on my conscience. I took a towel from the kitchen and gave it to her to press on the abdomen. After that, I took the phone and called for help.

Eric picked up immediately.

'I need help. I mean, Debbie needs help...'

I did not get to say anything else; my phone flew out of my hand and straight into the wall turning to pieces.

'It's all your fault', she said and a rainbow of lights headed my way. The impact was so powerful that I was unable to get up off the floor; I felt my body immobilized.

'If I leave, you're coming with me!'

Then the second wave came towards me. A black suffocating mist. Just as I thought that I was going to be left breathless, this curtain of chocking dust disappeared; I took a deep breath in; I felt released.