Chapter 24: When you would rather be lied to than find out the truth

I kept trying to remember the route of the fluorescent lights that I had seen in my dream, but I could not recall much. I hoped I was in luck and that the lights I had seen at the bottom of the trees were still there. However, I was curious where they were going. I was at home when I decided that I was going to go into the forest; I hoped I would remember more while I was there. I did not know what to expect but Beatrice was smart; perhaps, with a bit of luck, I was going to find some sign...something left behind by her that would take me to the place where she was now. I went towards the professors' dormitory and then up the hill following a narrow track. The forest was on the other side of the hill. I felt a chill down my spine. Perhaps I should have brought company.

I flinched when I heard someone calling me.

'What are you doing here?' Debbie, the librarian asked me.

She did not look well at all. Normally, she was the one who always had a smile on her face but now she was frowned. She had big black circles around her eyes; she did not seem to have had much sleep lately. The question was: what was she doing here? I thought she was a library mouse who never leaves her books.

'Aaa...I came out for a walk.'

'So far?'

Damn it; I had been caught in the act.

'Look, Debbie, can you please mind your way and pretend you haven't seen me?'

'No', she snapped at me and grabbed me by the wrist.

I pulled myself from her grip and moved backwards.

'What has gotten into you?'

'I am sick of you and of the fact that everybody does favors to you. Why are you so important to them? I would like to know why Eric cherishes you so much; I have my suspicions, but I would like for you to confirm them for me.'

I did not understand this change in her behavior, or what she was talking about; but this was the last thing I needed.

'Mind your own business and let me be' I told her. I tried to leave, but a strong wind blow came out of nowhere and threw me to the ground.

I looked at her. I was shocked and could not understand what was happening.

'I thought I would get rid of you. I did not think you would come back after I attacked you nd threw you in the forest.'

What? How? Why? I was struggling to get up, but the more I tried the harder the wind blew and pressed on my chest; that made it difficult for me to breathe.

Debbie answered the questions I had not even asked.

'Surprising, isn't it? Yes, I have the affinity for air; I can make you suffer by playing with the wind as I feel like.'

'Why?' I asked in coarse voice. I tried to say something else but the pressure was too strong and I felt I was suffocating.

'The more you agitate, the worse it will be. It's simple. Eric. Ever since you appeared he has changed. Nothing is the same anymore. He is completely absent. But we love each other; I know he loves me just as I love him. As soon as I get rid of you, he will become once more the loving and affectionate Eric that I know.'

What??? I could not believe it. This must be a nightmare that I will soon wake up from. She is crazy. She is lying. It cannot be.

'I can see the surprise on your face. But you do not believe me, do you?' The wind blow disappeared. She came next to me and gave me a phone. 'Feel free to check out the photos and the messages.'

I stood up, took the phone from her and gave it back.

'I do not want to see anything; I do not care.'