Chapter 5: More and more madness

Eric had almost fallen down and he was now cursing. He turned the flashlight towards me and cursed again when he saw me.

'Do you want to blind me or what? Take that light away from my eyes and do something!'

'Right away', he said and it got dark around me once more.

I could not help myself.

'Are you serious? Without any comments? Really nothing?'

And the last spot of light above us disappeared.

'Eric', I shouted even louder just to get a big fat nothing from him.

I don't really enjoy being alone – and definitely not in the dark in some cave somewhere. And as it always happens when we want time to go by quicker it seems to be passing in slow motion.

One second ... two seconds ... as if captured by the darkness...full of despair...fear...how long until sunrise?

Without moving I waited...and waited...ten minutes...one hour...how long had it been? Damn it, I cannot stand to be in this place anymore.

Ah...and the pain just won't stop. I cannot remember when was the last time I whined so much...and I feel the need to keep whining.

'Someone please help me!' I yelled in despair although I knew it was in vain.

Some people where probably now rolling in their beds sunken deep in their dreams. Some were probably squirming over some nightmare and some were sound asleep enjoying the soft mattress and the fluffy pillows, while others – me – well – were struggling not to fall into despair while longing for a way out of some cave.

In a short while it started to get lighter. I startled when Eric showed up behind me. I was so happy to see him that I could have hugged him.

'I...I thought that...you abandoned me here', I told him in trembling voice while struggling with the tears that were going to give away my true state of mind.

'You though wrong. Can you walk?' He asked and then offered me his hand to help me get up.

'I guess so.'

We moved towards a partially lit area and I felt slightly awkward as we were facing each other. He was checking me out and stopped when he saw my face. He frowned as he was pointing to my forehead.

'That doesn't look very well. We are going to see Doctor Phill right now.' He grabbed my hand and pulled me after him without giving a damn about the fact that I was protesting against it.

'I'm alright', I said again and again. I took my hand to my forehead. 'Look, see? It's just a little scratch.' He offered me a tissue. 'Done, it's solved!' He gave me that same look. 'Well...it could have been better but I guess it will just have to do. Wait a minute...you didn't tell me how you got here. And what is this place?'

He stopped in front of a big iron ladder propped against the wall.

'We'll have time for this later', he said vocally.

'And why not now?'

'You go first!' He said calmly and pointed me to the ladder.

I took the flashlight from him and looked around. I stopped and looked at a

hole in the wall from across.

'A tunnel; an underground tunnel. I am curious about what it is hiding', I said and then screamed when a mouse appeared where I was flashing my light. This made Eric laugh.

'It's not funny. Rats scare me.'

'Everything scares you.'

'And where does this ladder take us?' I asked him while ignoring his comment.