Facts 211-240: Rogue One Themed Page

This is a rebellion isn't it? I rebel!

It's time for some facts about the first stand alone Star Wars film, Rogue One! My the force be with you!

Fact #211
The Rebel base at Yavin IV features several full-sized cardboard cut-outs of X-Wings and Y-Wing fighters, using the same technique of filling out the hangar as in the original Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope. 

Fact #212
Alan Tudyk, who plays K-2SO, improvised the slap across Diego Luna's character Cassian's face in the scene on Jedha.

Fact #213
Costume designer David Crossman stated that some of the original costumes used in Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope, Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi  were used in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

Fact #214
The studio had only two choices to play Chirrut: Donnie Yen and Jet Li. Yen was approached first because of his salary of $4 million against Li's $10 million. To gauge his interest and as secondary plan, director Gareth Edwards also offered him the other role of Baze. Yen expressed interest in playing Chirrut but was hesitant in accepting it because it requires him to be away in London for 5 months. But it was his young son's love of the films and comics that wore him down of his reluctance. It was his idea to make his character blind.

Fact #215
This film is set days before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope and five years after Star Wars Rebels.

Fact #216
After Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm, John Knoll heard about some of the early concepts for new Star Wars movies and was not impressed with any of them. He began developing his idea for this film and started talking it up to his fellow ILM employees, refining the story into a thirty-minute pitch. People at ILM liked it so much that he was encouraged to bring it to Kathleen Kennedy, the new president of Lucasfilm. She loved the pitch and the movie was put into production.

Fact #217
Darth Vader is first shown living in a castle-like fortress that appears to be built on an active volcano. This is based on an unused concept created by Ralph McQuarrie after the original Star Wars was filmed but before the plot of The Empire Strikes Back was developed. 

Fact #218
This was the first of the franchise to put names of planets on screen as the characters arrive at each one. 

Fact #219
Genevieve O'Reilly reprised her role as Mon Mothma, whom she previously played in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. However, all but one of her scenes from the earlier film were deleted. 

Fact #220
This film confirms through dialogue that the Death Star can travel through hyperspace, though it is never seen entering, within, or emerging from hyperspace.

Fact #221
This is the first Star Wars film in which no one utters the name "Skywalker". 

Fact #222
First Star Wars movie to not use scrolling text at the opening of the movie.

Fact #223
Alan Tudyk adlibbed a lot of his dialogue.

Fact #224
Alan Tudyk initially turned down the role of K-2SO because he thought the start of filming would clash with his pre-production of his crowdfunded comedy series Con Man with his friend Nathan Fillion. When Gareth Edwards told him that the filming was moved back by a month in July 2015, he eventually agreed. To prepare for the role, he took mask lessons with a New York-based mask teacher Orlando Pabotoy to allow him to express by body language. He has since said that the role was one of the best he has worked on because it allowed him to wear a motion-capture suit on set along with the bonus of walking on a pair of 13-inch stilts. 

Fact #225
Cassian mentions something about "The Whills" when speaking with Jyn on Jedha before the attack on the hovertank. This is a reference to "Journal of the Whills," a portion of the original/working title of "The Star Wars" by George Lucas. At one time Whills were thought to be the race of Yoda, but that idea was abandoned. 

Fact #226
A jug of blue milk can be seen in Lyra's kitchen when Jyn is hurriedly packing her things. Blue milk first appeared in Star Wars A New Hope in Aunt Beru's kitchen. 

Fact #227
After doing the voice of Darth Vader in 4 Star Wars Films, James Earl Jones once again returns to voice Darth Vader after last voicing the character in Revenge of the Sith in 2005. 

Fact #228
Michael Giacchino, the film's composer,  had only one month to write his musical score.

Fact #229
This is the first "Star Wars" movie in which a woman receives top billing. 

Fact #230
As Cassian and Jyn walk through the crowded streets of Jedha, an Imperial Probe Droid (Probot) similar to the one encountered by Han Solo and Chewbacca on Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) passes in the background. 

Fact #231
Tony Gilroy was paid $5 million for 12 weeks work on script-revising and re-shoots especially on the third-act. He also recommended the producers to hire his brother, editor John Gilroy to edit the re-shot footage. None of the first two trailer footage made it into the final film. 

Fact #232

Saw Gerrera is the third Star Wars animated character to appear in a live-action Star Wars film. Preceded by Boba Fett, who first appeared in The Star Wars Holiday Special, and General Grevious, first appearing in the 2003 Star Wars: Clone Wars series. 

Fact #233
Tatiana Maslany, Rooney Mara and Kate Mara auditioned for the female lead role of Jyn Erso, which went to Felicity Jones. 

Fact #234
This is the second film where Vader is seen in his mediation chamber the first being Empire strikes Back but this time his full damaged body is seen.

Fact #235
The third Star Wars film to be rated PG-13.

Fact #236
The entire plot of this film is that Galen Erso is recruited in designing the Death Star. During episode two Attack of The Clones, they show completed designs of the death star some 30 years prior to the creation of the rebellion.

Fact #237
R2-D2 and C-3PO have a brief cameo, making Anthony Daniels the only actor to appear in all Star Wars movies so far.

Fact #238
Gareth Edwards and his creative team discovered some old film canisters while rummaging around the Lucasfilm warehouses. When he asked what they were, an employee said they were old Episode IV footage. The discovery led to the inclusion of unused Episode IV material featuring Red Leader and Gold Leader in this movie. 

Fact #239
Features digitally inserted characters from the original 1977 release and unused footage from it, including Governor Tarkin, Princess Leia, Red Leader, Gold Leader, and Biggs Darklighter, Luke's friend from Tatooine. 

Fact #240
On Jedha, Jyn bumps into Dr Evazan and Ponda Baba, the same men who tried to start a fight with Luke in the cantina in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

******

I hope you all enjoyed these facts as much as I did!