14. Drastic Measures

Ever since the entrance of Erinna into his life like a wrecking ball, disrupting everything in its path; Dracula had felt a lot of emotions but helplessness topped them all.

And that was what he felt as he restlessly paced the corridor outside his bedroom for the what felt like the thousandth time in half hour an hour.

His body was rigid with tension, his mind a mess of jumbled thoughts as he tried to overcome the urge to bring the whole castle down.

Outside, thunder was booming with a force that was shaking the windows in response to his barely controlled emotions but still his enemy remained in the sky, shining with a stupid grin that seemed to be mocking him.

Dracula was a powerful vampire but one thing he had never been able to control was the sun. He could tamper with weather at night and do a lot of things that defied nature but as long as the yellow curse was up he was tremendously weakened.

Being bound by his weaknesses had never been that frustrating. It tore him apart being near her yet so far away.

A few minutes back, he had informed Erinna of his intentions to punish her, a decision he would have thought twice about blurting out like that if he had had any inkling of the disastrous consequences.

Erinna's usually breathtaking emerald eyes had visibly darkened until they were pools of black as she had stared vacantly into space. She had remained utterly still for five minutes, not blinking before breaking into a fit of gasps that lasted for another five minutes.

It had been like a drowning person fighting for their breath. After the strangled gasps her eyes had closed and she had collapsed back onto the pillows.

"You really have to calm down," Alexander said, casting an anxious glance outside were lightning was playing a ruckus in the sunlit sky. The Count shot Alexander a look that put him right back in his place.

"I don't recall ever requesting your presence."

"You didn't."

"Then go where you were going."

Alexander sighed, torn between helping his maker and preserving his life. Dracula was a very difficult to deal with individual. He was most defensive and unreasonably volatile when he was in most need of assistance.

"She'll be fine, you know, The Countess, she's strong," he finally said.

"She's just but a child Alexander, barely two decades. I might have pushed her limits ," the Count said and by the faraway look in his eyes, Alexander guessed he hadn't meant to say that aloud.

"Is there anything you want me to do?" he asked, desperate to ease his friend's pain.

"Go and make sure there's something for her to eat when she wakes up."

It was a dismissal and Alexander knew it, an effort to get rid of him but nevertheless he did as he was told.

His maker needed time alone with his thoughts and he was going to give him that. If Dracula wanted to discuss the issue further, he woul ask.

☁☁☁☁☁☁☁☁

The darkness was pleasant, the silence serene. Everything around her was still; no cruel vampires encroaching on her personal space and definitely no outrageous responsibilities weighing down on her shoulders.

It was just her.

Yet even her subconscious knew that this was not real, the illusion was too perfect to fit in Erinna's new world of chaos. So eventually, against her will, Erinna opened her eyes. The light was to bright, momentarily burning her retinas but she forced herself to adjust.