87. Atonement

Activity in the castle reduced as most vampires retired from their duties to get some rest as the dawn stirred.

Erinna had not yet heard from Vlad following their fight at the boat. She had been angry for the better part of the night but as dawn crept closer; her anger was replaced by worry. Angry at both Alexander and her, he was bound to lash out. Someone would end up paying with their life. But no, that was the old Vlad; she had to trust he would do the right thing.

Even Alex could sense something was not right because he kept fidgeting in his corner, low rumbling sighs leaving his mouth.

“I don’t know where he is either, Alex.” She shrugged helplessly when he gave her an accusing glance.

Alex turned his head to Xander who sat on the bed with her, glaring at the scorpion.

“It wasn’t Xander’s fault.”

“I stings you, vampire. Do not set your unworthy eyes on me. Xander is elf royalty you peasant, jungle traitor, vampire kissing lion.”

Erinna could not even be shocked anymore. She had come to the conclusion that her cantankerous familiar had one goal only in life and that was making everyone around him miserable. Despite the aversion that all vampires had to scorpions, Alex had been nice to Xander, refraining from terrorizing him the way he did Alexander. But did her familiar care? Not even one bit.

Xander saw himself above everyone in the castle and in his mind, they should all bow to him. He took great joy in scaring the guards patrolling the hallways, obeyed no one and especially loved riling Vlad up.  The only positive was that he actually listened to Erinna, though she didn’t think it was by choice.

Alex roared loud enough to wake up the bones in the tombs and leapt on the bed.  Erinna erected a barrier between them because Xander’s stinger was already raised. Since they kept snarling at each other, she sent Xander outside to Shadow, whose company he seemed to like. Alex sauntered back to his corner, ignoring her suggestion to get some fresh air.

Erinna was about to do what she had been avoiding and contact Vlad mentally when the door opened, startling her in the dark silence where she sat, twiddling her thumbs. She rose up from the bed and immediately went to him. She wrapped her arms around his waist, embracing him with relief. He was fine, in one piece and did not have the air of death lingering over him.

“I was worried about you.”

“I was holding court with the human leaders.”

She withdrew from the hug so that she could look at him.

“Let me know next time.” She caressed his jawline with her thumb. “We had a fight and you just disappeared. I didn’t know what to think.”

“I thought you would want some space to think about what we discussed.”

He took her hand and led her to the bathroom. He set her on the counter as he undressed. Erinna’s eyes took in every inch of skin that was revealed as he shed his clothes. Her breath caught in her throat as she got the full visual of his defined chest. The rippling effect of the muscles beneath the scarred skin was enhanced by the dark tribal symbols inked there.

She watched him take a shower. When he was done, she held out her arms to him. He looked confused but walked into her arms, fitting his body between her thighs.  Erinna took his face in her hands and kissed him. It was a chaste kiss and lasted no longer than a few seconds.

“What was that for?” Vlad asked.

“That was to say I forgive you.”

Her pride struggled with the idea of being the one to give in but when she had agreed to be Vlad's mate, she had agreed to be what he needed. That was a dynamic role. Sometimes it needed her to be strong and other times to forgive; right then, it needed her to submit to him. Or at least give him the illusion of it. The battle for that day would be his but if Deacon was to be believed, the war would be hers.