79. A mother's love

Erinna’s heart was pounding and sweat was trickling down her face when she shot up from the bed. She looked at her side and breathed a sigh relief when she saw that Vlad was still sleeping beside her whole and in one piece. It calmed her frantic pulse but it did nothing to take away the growing fear and dread in her mind. The images of the dream were still blurry but the menace was the same as she had felt when she had felt when she had arrived at the barrier where her father had hurt Vlad.

The nightmares had started when Alexander had explained the exact state that he had found Vlad in. He hadn’t just been hurt or injured. His body had literally exploded into many infinite pieces that Alexander had had to scrape off the ground. The mental image was frightening and had been haunting her sleep for days. It unsettled her that someone who had not even taken the time to know Vlad could hate him so much as to do something like that.

He had his faults but didn’t they all? No one had the authority to lay down the final axe on someone’s neck, to decide that they had indeed run out of chances.

“Erinna?” Vlad stirred beside her. 

It was still early in the day to be waking up, a few hours after noon. Vlad being a creature of the night, would be feeling drained and tired from the effects of the sun on his kind.

“Shh, go back to sleep.”

His eyelids fluttered open and she caught sight of jet back eyes looking at her. He was still rumbled from sleep and his hair was all over the place but he still made her heart beat pick up. On impulse, she leaned down and kissed him before getting out of bed.

“Where are you going?” He asked, his eyes following her.

“To do something I should have done a long time ago,” she answered, taking off her nightdress to wear something more decent.

She had just put on a beautiful black dress, one of Miya’s pieces when cold firm hands gripped her hips. She flushed as Vlad bent over, his cheek brushing hers and warm breath teasing her as he kissed her neck, just beside his mark. Erinna shivered, her tightly strung body feeling the effect a thousand times more. Vlad and her had not really explored the intimate side of their marriage ever since she had returned from Ellingsdale because something always interrupted or he came up with an excuse.

She missed the easy intimacy they had shared before she had left. There was a barrier between them and for the life of her, she couldn’t tell what it was. But that was a puzzle for another time, she would worry about Vlad’s feelings for her when she had eliminated the threat to his life.

“Talk to me,” he urged.

How he exactly expected her to give a coherent response when he arms were around her, drawing circles on her stomach and awakening every nerve ending in her body, she didn’t know. His back was a solid wall behind her, allowing no escape and she reveled in his strength and just being in his arms, if only for a few minutes.

“Erinna?”

He stepped but turned her around to face him.

Erinna looked away for a moment, allowing her hair to curtain her blushing face from his gaze. She look back at him when she was composed and sure enough that her face, traitorous thing it was, would not give away everything she was feeling.

“I keep thinking back to that day we went to the barrier.”

“You mean the day you wanted to kill your father,” Vlad smirked. 

Erinna rolled her eyes, of course that was still his favorite day. Erinna could hardly think back to it without cringing. At least Vlad had been there to stop her, she didn’t want to think where she would be if she had indeed gone ahead and ended her father’s life in a fit of temper.