80. Needless Suffering

Ingrid leaned closer to the man in front of her. He was the only one had given her the time of the day in a while and she could not deny that he irritated her less than most people did. It was not so far off that she would want to kiss him, to feel his soft lips on her burnt and charred ones. After being alone for so long, she needed to feel wanted, to feel alive, if only from just a kiss but like the three times before, he turned his head away before their lips could touch.

"Ingrid, we can't," he groaned.

The tortured sound made it clear he wanted this as much as she did. Why was he fighting her so hard?

"Why am I even surprised?" She rolled her eyes, "I don't know who is more obsessed with her. You or him."

The expression on Alexander's face immediately changed. His eyes which had been filled with desire a few moments back hardened and chilled as if the waters of the ocean had been thrown over them.

"I appreciate your rougher edges and sadistic humor unlike most people but you will be respectful when you talk about Erinna if you want this to continue," he said firmly.

Jealousy and annoyance swept through Ingrid.

"Why do you defend her? You know she'll never look at you right?"

"Like he'll never look at you?" Alexander asked.

"Harsh, puppy. Who knew you had all these claws in you?" She leaned in and brushed her lips over his ear, biting into the ear lobe, "I like it."

"I want us to take things slow. I already told you that."

"Because you find me repulsive or because you're afraid you'll lose whatever chance you had with her when she finds out you're attracted to the woman who slept with her husband?" She asked.

"You didn't. Just because Diana made you think you did, doesn't mean you did."

"Technicalities, darling. He was mine before, anyway."

Alexander frowned.

"I would do everything, everything in my power to ensure The Count's happiness but you take every chance you get to slur his name and to ruin his relationship with his mate. Do you not care about him at all?"

"I'm not directly sired to him like you. I can make my own choices and decisions, I don't have to parrot everything he says," she shrugged.

Ingrid was glad that the man who Vlad had asked to turn her was dead. She saw every day what vampires did for their makers and she couldn't imagine herself that beholden to someone.

The inclination to obey one's maker was very strong, especially in new vampires, only fading with time. But the way Alexander acted, it was like he had been turned less than three hundred years back.

They all were grateful to Dracula at the end of the day for their immortality but the extent of the gratitude depended on how close one was to his bloodline and how long one had been a vampire.

It sometimes led to some foolish decisions like that dimwitted Derek who had caught wind of the vampire-elf union curse and tried to save Dracula from it by raping the elf.

He had gathered a whole posse of other equally obsessed fools so that they could take Dracula's safety into their own hands. All having been turned by Alexander, were not even directly bound to Dracula but they had felt the compulsion to protect him.

When Ingrid had stumbled them, they had been ripe for the picking. It had not been hard to convince them that the best way to save The Count was by defiling his so-called pure bride and stopping him from marking her.