78. Letting Go

Despite his valiant efforts to come to her, Vlad was still a vampire and like all his brethren, bound by his curse. With the sun already peeking from the mountains, he failed to teleport and had to be content with her reassurances that she was fine.

She wished he had not gone away in the first place but no matter how annoying, the trips were necessary. No empire could exist alone and Vlad needed to show his gratitude to all the people who had come to their aide in the war. It was how alliances were built and maintained.

'At least get Alexander to stay with you tonight. Where is he, I haven't heard from him all night and strangely that makes me more nervous than him popping into my head every other second to annoy me.'

Erinna hesitated.

'Alexander and I had a... misunderstanding.'

She sensed the immediate shift in his mind as he instantly got more alert.

'What did he do?'

'It was me actually. I read his thoughts without meaning to.'

'You can read thoughts now?'

It had also surprised her. The most she had ever done was pick up people's names from their minds or read Vlad's thoughts by deliberating wandering into his mind. But she had always thought that was because they were mates and it had never happened without physical contact.

'It wasn't a conscious decision, it just happened.'

'Well he can get over it. I want him to stay with you until I come back.'

'Alex is with me,' she told him, looking at the lion laying on Vlad's side of the bed and probably leaving hair on his pillow. Her mate was going to have a feat when he came back.

'Not good enough.'

'He needs space, Vlad.'

'You treat him like a little girl. He is a three thousand year old vampire who swore to protect you. If he can't get over his feelings enough to do that then he needs to find another ruler.'

Erinna sighed but was glad he had not asked her what she had seen in his right hand man's mind.

'What about if you send Chase?'

'Chase is not allowed in our chambers, you know that.'

It was true, Alexander was the only one who ever got into their chambers aside from Leila and the girls who cleaned.

'He can stay outside?'

He was reluctant but Erinna was finally able to get him to agree. She made a mental note to fix things with Alexander as soon as the sun set.

Vlad withdrew from her mind temporarily to ask Chase to come to stand guard outside their bedroom.

'Are your talks done with the trolls?'

'There is no much talking, angel. Trust me,' he said, making Erinna laugh.

The trolls unlike other races, had been unfortunately skipped by evolution. Where other races had evolved and developed complex languages, they still relied on grunts and growls to communicate. They had less than twenty words in their vocabulary. She was amazed at Vlad's capacity to actually engage them in any meaningful conversation.

'For someone who was given the most beautiful girl in the kingdom, you're terribly ungrateful.'

'There is only one girl I want in this world. I'm coming to see you as soon as the sun sets, Countess.'