85. Damage Control

Hey guys. I just noticed the last chapter uploaded incorrectly. It was not supposed to end on 'Enter'. I've reuploaded it. If you still can't see the rest, try deleting the book from  your library then adding it again.

🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰

Erinna and Alexander arrived home before Vlad fortunately and it gave her some time to take a bath.

She combed her hair and put on one of the gowns sewn by the new seamstress Vlad had employed to take over from Miya. Her work was good but was nothing compared to the clothes that Miya had shamelessly enhanced with magic.

The gown was made of black and flowy chiffon-like material that felt soft against her skin. It had long sleeves that trailed behind her and was cinched above her belly, giving her chest some pronunciation. Perhaps she was playing dirty, but she hoped to distract Vlad enough that he would not ask too many questions about her night.

She was waiting for him downstairs when they arrived.

Vlad’s lips lifted at the corners the moment he saw her and he left everyone to walk towards her. He put a hand under her chin, tilting her head up for a kiss that was as much about staking claim over one’s territory as well as passion. His masculine scent engulfed Erinna and for a moment, she forgot about the utter disaster that the day had been.

She opened up for her husband and let him kiss her and recentre her. She accepted every bit of his strength and let it pull her upright again. When she no longer felt like she was going to break from grief, she kissed him back. She moved her tongue against his, desperate for his warmth, desperate for the way only he made her feel alive. In him all her troubles drowned until she finally felt some hope.

She was reminded of why she was fighting for this in the first place, why despite all the disappointments she couldn’t give up. Vlad was worth saving. They were worth saving.

Vlad suddenly pulled away from the kiss, looking at her with a frown.

“You’re crying.”

“I’m not,” Erinna said, her hand swiping at her cheek. It came back wet.

“Did something happen when I was gone?” He asked.

Erinna’s mouth opened and suddenly she did not know what to say. She couldn’t lie to him.

Thankfully Alexander came to the rescue.

“Can you update me on the new changes?” He asked Vlad.

“Later,” Vlad said, not taking his eyes from Erinna.

With the full intensity of his gaze, she knew the truth was going to come out soon or later. Vlad’s personality was too strong, too forceful and too domineering to warrant anything but absolute obedience.

“Did someone hurt you whilst I was away?” He asked.

Erinna looked down, unable to meet his eyes.

“Did you do all the Provinces? You know, I wish you had taken me with you, it’s been a while since I’ve been to the East,” Alexander said, perhaps a touch to exuberantly as he came closer to the two of them.

Vlad’s eyes turned to ice. The air in the whole changed, becoming frigid.

“Alexander, I’m talking to my wife. Do you mind?”

“No, of course not, man. Sorry.” He gave Erinna an apologetic, I’ve-tried look and left the room.

“I’ll just talk to Lierian for a moment,” Erinna stumbled for excuses to evade the coming discussion.