Prologue

(Sarah's POV)

"Can I go ride my bike?"

That was an unusual question for me, especially when I didn't have school. I usually spent my time in my room. But for some reason, today felt different. "Where will you go?" my mom asked, washing the dishes. I shrugged and said, "Probably just around the neighborhood. Maybe to Mr. Tommy's house and back." She seemed to think about it for a moment before asking, "Alright, but what time will you be back?" "Maybe in about 30 minutes or so," I replied, going upstairs to get dressed. I didn't need an answer, her question was enough.

Dressed for the outdoors, I grabbed my phone. "Bye, mom," I called, hurriedly making my escape out the garage door. Mounting my bike, I sped down the street through the chilly air.

I had lied to my mom about riding around the neighborhood. Entering a small jogging path at the end of the cul de sac, I smiled to myself and thought, Finally. Freedom.
The forest was my only other sanctuary besides my room. It was where I could be left alone to my own thoughts and imagination. Plus, the scenery was always beautiful, so I definitely considered that a bonus.

My parents didn't really let me go anywhere. Friend's house? Not often. Parties? Depends. Sleepovers? Nope. It wasn't often that I got to do any of these. Unless the people that offered were from church, the question was usually avoided and the answer was often no.
Riding my bike was a small freedom, but freedom nonetheless. I wished desperately for an adventure more often than I could count.   A part of me wanted to just get out of my small neighborhood and to go see the world.

Nothing unexpected ever happens here, I thought to myself, Much like the shire.
My neighborhood was literally the equivalent of a suburban shire. With a sigh, I reflected on my favorite book. The Hobbit. Its story was always lingering somewhere in the back of my mind. I smiled. The greatest adventure anyone had here was going to college or getting married, and that wasn't going to happen to me soon enough. With a frown of disappointment, I knew that I would have to wait at least another year before I would graduate and be able to travel.

Soon, I reached a small part of the woods at the side of the neighborhood road. Dismounting my bike, I smiled and inhaled the earth's scent. My thoughts trailed off as I wandered down the small path, pulling my bike along beside me.

Suddenly, I heard ascreech. My daydreaming was met with a bluecar speeding down the trail and towards me. Cars weren't allowed here,they never were. I tried waving for itto stop, but my plea was unwavering. Thedriver's gaze was fixed on something, and they didn't look like they were goingto stop anytime soon.
"Woah shoot!" I exclaimed and hurried to my left into a ditch by thepath. I gasped as I tripped and fell backwards. To my misfortune (and lack of a helmet), myankle twisted, and my head met the firm embrace of what felt like aboulder. I heard a crash, saw stars, andfaded into black. Always wear a helmet.