Chapter 35: The Aftermath

A/n: Muindor means brother in Sindarin.

(Erin's POV)

After finishing off the orcs, I saw Tauriel walking my way with her arm around Kili.  I saw how he tended to her, not rushing her as she leaned against him for support.  I knew that he cared for her, and yet I tried not to dislike it as my father would.  "I can take it from here," I told him.  He looked up at me and reluctantly nodded.

I bent down and gently slung her arm around my neck.  "Are you alright?" I asked again.  She nodded slowly and said, "I suffered a blow to the head apparently.  But I am fine now, my lord."  I smirked as I said, "No need for the formalities."

Before we could say anything, we heard someone shout, "NO!"  I became worried as soon as I recognized that voice.  Again with the worry, I wondered, Where is it coming from?  
"That's Sarah!" Kili exclaimed.  He started to walk away, but he turned around and told Tauriel, "I must leave, but I will return for you."  She simply nodded as he hurriedly left.  "I want to follow him," she said quietly.  I had to hold back an undignified snort.  I know why, I thought.  Instead of inflicting my opinion upon her, I quietly sighed and said, "Alright."

I helped her walk in the direction that Kili had gone.  When we turned the corner, a sad sight greeted us.  The body of Thorin Oakenshield lay dead on the frozen water.  His nephews, the hobbit, and Sarah were around his body in mourning.
I led Tauriel to lean against the ruins, and then I went down to them.

Sarah stood up and held herself as she stared off into the distance.  Frowning, the tears were still making trails down her dirty cheeks.  She took in a shaky breath and sighed as she hurriedly wiped her face again.  I knew that she disliked looking vulnerable.  I could tell that she held up a wall around her feelings, and I think that she was afraid of it falling down.

After she composed herself, I saw the strong girl I knew her to be.  I went to her and gazed down at her sad face.  She tried to say something, but all she could manage was a quiet, "Hi..."

I sheathed my sword and gently said, "I am sorry for your loss."  "Yeah..." she said quietly.  Her gaze shifted as she said, "What bothers me is that I can't cry.  I mean, I can shed a few tears, but I don't know why I can't do more...  It scares me."  "This is your first battle," I told her, "You are not used to the loss of someone close."  "I guess..." she replied, sadly sniffing.  "What will you do now?" I asked.  She pursed her lips and stared off in another direction.  "I don't know," she said quietly.

An idea came to my mind.  For some reason, I felt as if I wanted her to come to Mirkwood.  Her mind had potential, and so did her voice.  She could learn so much.  In all my years of being alive, I'd never known anyone like her.
She didn't make sense.  She was like a labyrinth of things I did not understand.  She could change from a peaceful brook to a rushing river.  An open book, and yet a chapter of secrets.  She was also one of the few people that could make me laugh.  That too did not make sense.  It intrigued me to learn more.  Also, I was bored at home.  She interested me.  And if she was from another world, I could learn more about it as well.

"Today is a day of sorrow for all of us," I stated calmly, "But, if it interests you, you are welcome to come to Mirkwood.  You would be a guest in my halls.  We could continue our lessons outside of a prison cell this time."  I smirked at that last part.  She paused to think about it for a moment before sighing and saying, "I dunno.  I'll think about it.  Thanks though."

It wasn't like her to look so depressed.  It didn't feel right.  It made me want to cheer her up.  Before I could, I felt a hand touch my shoulder.  Turning around, my eyes were greeted with Legolas.  After a month of not seeing him, I was not surprised that he had made it through the entire ordeal without a single scratch.  "Muindor," I said, nodding my head in greeting, "I am glad to see you after your journey."  He nodded in greeting as well.