Chapter 43: Oh Look. Another Spider.

AHH here you go. Btw, trichotillomania is a real thing.

(Sarah's POV)

The Doctor didn't come back that week. I spent my days in my room either watching YouTube, reading books on my phone, or sleeping. I didn't have anything planned other than music lessons with Erin, so my days consisted of nothing eventful. Occasionally, he would come by and ask to see a piano design (which he was actually trying to build in his room), but that was really the only other time I left. On the fifth day filled with nothing, he finally woke me up early and said, "Come with me. We need to get you some clothes that actually fit." I nodded in agreement and got up to get dressed.

As we walked down the hall, he continued to say, "We'll stop by the kitchen so that you can grab a bite to eat. The measurements may take a while." "Okay," I replied, hurriedly keeping up with his long strides. Tetheril greeted us in the kitchens, a smile on her face and a basket of food in her hands. "Hello, child, how are you?" she asked, giving me a gentle smile. "Oh, I'm fine," I lied, "Just going shopping for some new clothes." She nodded and said, "Aerendyl told me that you were both going to the tailor's, so I thought that I would make a meal to take along with you." She handed a basket to Erin, patting his arm in a friendly manner. I smiled and thanked her, but all he did was nod. "Thank you as well," he said at last, turning around and hurriedly walking out the door. Tetheril's smile faltered, and she went back to her work. I felt bad for her, but still proceeded to go after him.

"Ya know," I started quietly, "You could be a little - just- just a tad nicer to her. She cares about you a lot, it's really obvious that she does." Daring to take it a step further, I gingerly added, "I think we both would like to see our moms if we could." He looked down at me from the corner of his eye and said, "I apologize. My behavior was influenced by the people around her, not necessarily by herself." "What do you mean?" I asked. A gentle frown made its way onto his face as he said, "They were looking at me as if I were some specimen or creature, not one of their own kind. How could I not react the way that I did?" "Oh," I replied, turning my gaze forward, "I didn't notice that." "You didn't, but I did," he continued, and with a sigh said, "Of course, why bother? I am used to it."

Wanting to change the subject, I asked, "What's in the basket?" Erin turned his gaze downwards to examine it as he said, "Just some bread and cheese, I believe. Perhaps a small vial of oil, an apple for me, and some grapes. I requested a jug of water and I know it is in here somewhere." Rummaging under the cloth covering the food, he proceeded to tap on something and say, "Here it is." "That's quite a buffet." He smirked back and said, "Yes, well I told Tetheril that you would most likely eat more than I." I snorted, rolling my eyes and shaking my head. "Well I mean, you're not wrong."

We continued to walk along the path silently, passing some other walking elves who would glance at us and murmur between themselves. Erin kept avoiding their gaze. After we passed the third couple of elves, I smirked and said, "Next time a couple passes us, just stare 'em down and smile." "What?" Erin asked, giving me a confused look. "Just do it," I continued with grin, "And see what happens." Lo and behold, another elf couple were coming our way. I looked up at Erin only to see his gaze was fixed on them. I smirked and did the same. They were two elvish women, and they nodded at us politely. Erin and I continued to stare at them and smile as they proceeded to walk by.

One of the women got a look on her face, and they hurried away. Erin chuckled deep in his throat. "What was that?" I asked, trying not to laugh at his chuckling. "I winked at her," he replied, a grin making its way onto his face, "She didn't know what to think." We both laughed, talking about the funny look on her face and how dumb we were.

As we walked over bridges and carved paths of stone, I got a good chance to take in the scenery. Very much like the movie depicted, Mirkwood was like a giant cavern filled with openings for sunlight and plants. It was massive and beautiful. While my head was turned upward, Erin began to say, "I am concerned for you." "Why?" I asked, although I guessed what was coming. "You have not left your room in five days," he continued, giving me a look, "Save for the voice lessons and piano, you have not spoken to me or anyone else outside of your room." "That's not true," I interrupted, raising my eyebrows and pointing at him, "I say hi to the lady that cleans my room and brings me food."