Chapter 30: The Dragon

A/n: This is going to be a long chapter because of all the long waits. Enjoy!

(Sarah's POV)

During the next two days, we rowed up the lake and into the river.  The current was very strong, and that made our trip even slower.  When we finally reached the western bank, there were ponies with provisions awaiting us.  Men were there guarding them until our arrival. All arranged by the master of Laketown, of course.

Making our way to the mountain, we stopped by the remains of the city of Dale.  Balin told us that it was one of the greatest cities until the dragon came and destroyed it.  It made everyone a bit sad, but we pressed on through the Desolation of Smaug.

Continuing on up the mountain for the next few weeks, we searched for the door.  There were no giant stone dwarves to lead the way like in the movie.  We had to search every possible place on the side of the mountain, and that was a horrendous task.  The days got colder, and we slowly ran low on food.  My leg healed, day by day, and I could start walking again.  I tried being grateful for that instead of focusing on our hardships.

One day, we found a grassy ledge with a large rock on the edge of it.  We decided that we would camp there for the night.
We sat in our despair, wondering when and if we would find the door.  Bilbo was writing in a book that Gandalf had given him sometime after we left Beorn's place.  He told me that Gandalf wanted him to keep a record of our happenings so that he could point out where we went wrong.  Not much help right now, Gandalf, I thought to myself.

The sun started to set, and pretty soon it was evening.  The moon shone brightly over the mountain and beyond as the sun was almost done setting.  If everything hadn't been so glum, I would've thought it beautiful.

Suddenly, a cracking noise reached my ears.  "What's that?" I asked out loud, looking around for the source.  "It's only a thrush," Bilbo said, waving it off, "It's cracking snails."  My eyes widened as I remembered the instructions.  "Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks..," I said to myself, "And the last light of Durin's day will shine upon the keyhole... Quick!  Look for the keyhole!"

Everyone was soon up on their feet, and it wasn't long before we saw the keyhole illuminated by the last of the sunlight.  "Quick, Thorin!" Bilbo said, "The key!"  Thorin held the key in his hand and put it into the lock.  He turned it, and with a click the stone moved to reveal that it was a door.

The dwarves were silent.  Thorin walked into the doorway.  "Erebor," he whispered to himself as he examined the hall.
"Thorin," Balin started, but couldn't finish.  He was tearing up at the memories of his home.  Thorin pat him reassuringly on the shoulder as he continued to examine the hall.

"I know these walls," he continued quietly, "These halls...  This stone."  He touched the walls lovingly as he asked, "You remember it Balin?  Chambers filled with golden light?"  Balin followed him as he happily said, "I remember."

The dwarves started walking into it too.  I followed last.  I was taller than the passage, so I had to bend down to get in.  It was around five foot in height and three across, just like the book had described it.  Big enough for a dwarf, but small enough for a dragon to miss.  Further on, it got longer and wider, relieving me of my aching back.  On the wall was a carving of a dwarf on a throne with what I assumed to be the arkenstone over his head.

I noticed the dwarves had stopped moving further in, and remembered that the dragon was still in the mountain.  "And now," Thorin said, "It is time for the hobbit to earn his reward."  He stopped talking and looked at Bilbo.  "You want me to go down there?" Bilbo asked, flustered, "I've already gotten you out of two messes that weren't in the original bargain!"  "You signed the contract," Thorin replied calmly, "I would hope that you would do your part and go down there and burgle something.  Sarah, will he survive?"  I nodded and said, "Yes."  "There," Thorin continued, "That should be enough for you to carry on with."