Chapter 40: Still Waiting For My Chicken Nuggets

A/n:  Here you go!  Sorry for such a long wait (as always)!!

(Sarah's POV)

I started to trudge through the snow again, shivering in the cold.  My clothes were already wet, and my toes were numb.  Not knowing what else to do, I pulled out my phone, and with an accent said, "Oh dear lawd, pleeease work."  Although my screen had a crack in it, it came to life and displayed the lock screen.  "Finally!" I exclaimed happily (still with an accent), unlocking it to see if I had any messages.  None.  I'd expected such.  There was no reception, and the date remained the same from when I had arrived.  It was a phone frozen in time.  "Aw that stinks," I said to myself, sighing and putting it back into my pocket.  I'd check on it later.

"So I assume that you will be leaving before dinner?" Erin asked, keeping up with my pace.  He looked down at me for an answer, but I kept my gaze forward.  "Hopefully," I replied, nodding and containing my happiness at seeing my family again.  Don't get me wrong, I love Middle Earth.  But I missed the 21st century.  "Oh no," I whined, frowning and screaming in my throat for a split second, "I'm gonna have to study for school. Again."  

Erin arched an eyebrow at me for my sudden outburst, but I ignored him.  If he can't deal with my weirdness by now, then he's gonna have to catch up, I thought.  Making motions with my hands, I continued to rant, "See, 'cause I hate it 'cause now I'm gonna have to study again in order to pass my classes.  And honestly, I don't really wanna do AP English again, because all we're gonna do is write essays, and I've pretty much forgotten how."  I stopped walking again and said, "Ah crumpets. My test."  I groaned in the back of my throat, unhappily anticipating the decline of my grades when I returned.

I glanced up at Erin, but he seemed like he was off in another world.  He simply nodded at my comment, but I didn't think he had heard me.  I gave him my full attention and asked, "You okay?"  He finally looked down at me and said, "Oh.  Yes.  I apologize.  I was just reflecting on something the Doctor said."  "What? What'd he say?" I asked.  Erin spoke in elvish to the guards at the gate, and they let us through.  He shook his head and replied, "Nothing of importance." 

That didn't sound right.  "You sure?" I asked, wondering about what the Doctor could've said. My mind started to automatically make up worst case scenarios.  You're stuck here, I can't bring you back, I'll dig you up in 300 yearsSee, If the Doctor tells you something, it's either something very good or very bad.  Either way, I was suspicious of Erin seemingly 'forgetting' whatever the Doctor said.  But Erin nodded again, and I reluctantly dropped the subject.

I stopped talking as we came closer to my room.  Opening the door, I said, "Well, all my stuff is pretty much packed up, so I guess just gotta change, and... I'll be off."  As sad as it was, I wanted this to be quick so that I could be ready to go when the Doctor came back.  If he comes back, I thought halfheartedly.  I shook my head and tried not to worry about it.  Taking a different outfit, I went into the bathroom to change.  "Is there anything out here that I could assist you with?" Erin called.  "Uhhh just put my stuff on the bed I guess," I replied, grumbling about wet clothes being harder to take off.

I'd changed back into the outfit I'd worn when I'd arrived here in Mirkwood.  Bundling up my previously wet clothes and stockings, I quickly stepped out and put them into my bag.  Erin helped me pick up one of my bags and threw it over his shoulder.  "Where will you go to wait?" he asked, seemingly disappointed.  I felt bad for him leaving early.  "I'll probably wait at the end of the bridge- behind our snowman," I replied with a chuckle.