Chapter 23: Jailbreak

(Sarah's POV)

"BORED," I exclaimed, kicking the door to my cell.  "BORED." *kick* "BORED." *kick*
I shaped my hand like a gun and made shooting sounds as I pretended to shoot the wall.  It had been a week, and I was already dying of boredom.  Imitating Sherlock Holmes was all I could think of other than sleeping and singing my heart out.
"What are you doing?" a guard shouted down at me.  "I'm not a psychopath, Anderson, I'm a high functioning sociopath!" I quietly exclaimed, "Do your research!"

"I will come down there and force you to stop if I must," the guard said, obviously getting annoyed. "Perfect impression," I replied loudly.
"What do you mean?" he asked, confused.  "Perfect impression of an idiot!" I called back, laughing for effect.  He rolled his eyes and remained at his post.  I continued to pretend to shoot the wall, quoting my favorite TV shows.  This was going to be a long week.

We stayed in that jail for almost a month.  I kept track by keeping marks on the wall. Every once in a while, Aerendyl and Tauriel would come down to converse with Kili and I.
 Over time, I came to notice that Aerendyl was very kingly, like his father.  He had dry sense of humor, so he got a chuckle out of me once in a while.  But his humor was no match for mine, and I occasionally made him laugh too.  He was also very, very smart.  It was like Doctor Who and Sherlock mixed into one.  Brilliant, but not exactly a high functioning sociopath.  He was still technically our jailer, but I no longer disliked him because of that. Well, not as much as I used to. We got along pretty well, considering the circumstances.

Aerendyl was nice enough to befriend me, and would sneak out once a week to talk to me.  I wondered why he even did it.  I was no one special.  Even so, I liked the company.  All I could do for conversation was talk to myself, or talk loudly to the dwarves from my cell.

Humming to myself, I didn't hear him come up to my cell with my plate of food.  "Here is your dinner," he said, "And I have brought you something else."  "What?" I asked, taking the plate and setting it down on my bench.  He took a small book out from under his arm and asked, "Can you read elvish?"  I shook my head and said, "No... we don't really learn it where I come from."

"Well then... that is unfortunate," he replied, looking down, "This is a very good book."  Pausing for a moment, I asked, "Well could you teach me?" He gave it some thought for a moment.  "Wait here," he said, and started to walk away.  "Well I can't exactly go anywhere, now can I?" I called after him.  He glanced at me, smirked, and continued walking.  

He came back sometime later with another book.  He spoke to one of the guards in elvish, and the guard left.  "Where is he going?" I asked.  "Off to get me a chair," Aerendyl replied, opening up the book, "Now I will point out the letter, and you repeat after me."

"Wait," I interrupted, "Can I just ask, why are you doing this?"  He sighed, his expression almost annoyed.  "Because, quite frankly, I am bored and there is nothing better for me to do," he replied bluntly, "In all of the years that I have been alive, I have read every single book that this world has to offer at least twice.  And it bores me now.  You are something I have never seen before.  I would rather do this than kill spiders with my little brother."

"Oh. Okay," I said, positioning myself to see the book better. He started to open the it up again, but I stopped him.  "Just to make things clear," I stated seriously, "I'm not your pet."  "I never said you were," he replied, glancing at me sincerely.  And with that, we began our lessons.

In his spare time, he would also converse with me and tell stories of his adventures and the history of Middle Earth.  And in return, I would tell him stories of and from my world. Talking to him was very interesting, and I was thankful that I had something to pass the time. I think he was too.