Chapter 36: A Nice Afternoon

(Erin's POV)

I closed the door and left her to get settled.  As soon as it was closed, my eyes were greeted with the sight of Tetheril.  She arched an eyebrow at me as she smiled and crossed her arms.  "You have not laughed in a while," she stated with a smirk, "It is almost music to my ears.  It suits you."

She folded her hands, and I knew that I was about to get a lecture.  "Now then," she continued with a sigh, "Are you going to tell me about how you met the child?"
I smirked at her comment and replied, "Firstly, I do not think that she will approve of being called 'the child'.  And secondly, she was originally a prisoner that happened to catch my attention."

"Catch your attention indeed," she scoffed with a smile, "I am assuming she shows some form of intelligence or some form of uniqueness.  Otherwise, you would not have shown interest."  I smirked at Tetheril's comment.  Sarah certainly had caught my attention ever since our first meeting.  And the fact that she did never seemed to leave my mind.  She was different than most of the humans I had met before.  She had a good head on her shoulders, and seemed to have come from another world, both figuratively and literally.  It had earned my admiration.

Questions and thoughts continued to plague my mind as Tetheril continued, "It pleases me to know that you have finally made a friend other than Tauriel and your brother.  I was beginning to worry that you would never come out of your room."  I had to suppress a groan of annoyance. "Yes. I can tell, as you so bluntly put it," I replied sarcastically.

"All the same," she continued, giving me a look, "I am hoping that this girl does you some good.  Those charts and songs you've designed are not the only things to understand you.  Remember that."  "As you wish," I sighed, shifting my gaze from her to an insect on the wall.  It seemed more interesting than the conversation we were having. 

Tetheril continued to ramble about how I isolated myself too much and how she was worried.  We both knew why, but she was kind enough not to bring it up.  I nodded dumbly as she continued to talk and talk for what seemed like the lifespan of two elves.  Finally deciding I had had enough, I interrupted her.  "If you don't mind," I started, straightening the sleeves of my robe, "I wish to go to the library.  Alone."

Hurt flashed across her eyes for just a moment before it faded away.  She seemed to brush it off as she said, "Alright.  I will leave you to do what you please."  She turned around and started to walk away before turning back and asking, "Are you going to tell the child?"  "Tell her of what?" I asked, although I knew the answer.  "You know what I mean," she replied, her gaze serious.  I didn't respond.  She sighed and gently said, "If she is to be a friend of yours, and if you are to properly gain her trust, then she must know the truth.  You cannot hide behind the enchantment forever."

"Leave me in peace," I spat, turning away.  Tetheril arched an eyebrow at me, unswayed, and replied, "Do not think that getting an attitude with me will do anything, youngling."  
My appearance remained cold as I sighed and explained, "She need not know until I feel the time appropriate."  With hesitation, I continued, "It is... a sensitive topic."

Her gaze softened as she said, "I know it is.  But she must know, eventually.  Otherwise-"  She paused before saying, "Well, you of all people know what happens."  "Oh do stay out of this just for once," I replied, giving her a look.  Tetheril held her hands up in defeat as she said, "Then I will leave you to do as you please.  But don't let her become a stranger to me like you are.  Bring her around the kitchen sometime so that I might know her and what she likes."  With a smile, she continued to say, "After all, I am your master cook."