Chapter 24: We Hitch A Ride

(Sarah's POV)

We floated down the river for I don't know how long.  I tried to ignore the pain in my leg, but I was failing.
"Anything behind us?" Thorin shouted.  Balin continued to scan the area, calling out, "None that I can see!"

Bofur spit out water and said, "I think we've outrun the orcs."  "Not for long," Thorin said, glancing behind him, "We've lost the current."  "Bombur's half drowned and Sarah is wounded," Dwalin interrupted.  I was thankful that someone had finally noticed. Thorin saw Bombur and I struggling and shouted, "Make for the shore!"

To my relief, wee paddled towards a large pile of boulders. Everyone else proceeded to get out of their barrels and climb onto the rocks, but I couldn't. "Hey, can someone help me please?" I called out weakly, trying not to move my leg.  Fili and Kili came over, lifted me out by my arms, and gently carried me to the shore. "Oin, come over here!" Fili shouted, looking at my wound and reassuring me that I would be alright. I merely took deep breaths, accepting the fact that I'd actually been shot. Oin quickly came over and said, "Alright, let's see what the damage is, lass."

I nodded and just kept trying to remember to breathe.  Oin removed the blood soaked pants around my wound as gently as he could.  It wasn't gentle enough. I sucked in the air through my gritted teeth. "I'm sorry," I exhaled, covering my mouth. "It's quite alright. You are in luck," he said, still examining, "It didn't hit yer bone.  Fortunately, it isn't too deep of a wound.  Although, the arrow should not have been pulled out."

I glanced over at Kili, aggravated.  He saw me and quietly added, "I... may have caused that..." Looking at me, he said, "I am sorry."  "It's okay," I grumbled, not entirely forgiving him. "Sarah's wounded," Fili called to Thorin, "Her leg needs binding."  "Make it quick," Thorin said, scanning the perimeter, "We have an orc pack on our tail.  We keep moving."  "To where?" Balin asked, turning around in exasperation.  "To the mountain," Bilbo replied, shivering in the cold, "Were so close."

"A lake lies between us and that mountain," Balin explained matter-of-factly, "We have no way to cross it."  "So we go round," Bilbo said, "Surely we could make it on foot." "The orcs will catch us," Dwalin pointed out unhappily.  They all started talking and thinking of ideas to get to the mountain across or around the lake.

I groaned as Oin tightly bound my leg with wet linen, and then I remembered. I wonder if Bard is here, I guessed. Looking around, I saw him sneaking up on us with his bow drawn. I patted Fili's arm and said, "Um..." and pointed at Bard.  Dwalin was the first to see him, and picked up a fallen branch to try and fight.

Before he could charge, an arrow was shot.  It lodged itself in the branch, but Dwalin simply threw it down.  I tried to protest as other dwarves picked up things around them to fight, but each item was shot out of their hands.  "Do it again," Bard said coldly, "And you're dead."  It was silent for a moment before Balin said, "Excuse me, but um, you're from Laketown, if I'm not mistaken?"

Bard was silent.  "That barge over there," continued Balin, "It wouldn't be able for hire, by any chance?"  Bard then put the arrow back into his quiver and slung his bow over his shoulder.  "What makes you think I would help you?" he asked, taking our barrels out of the water.  One by one, he put them into the boat.

"You know, you guys should help," I said, looking at the dwarves.  No one did anything.  I sighed, trying not to become frustrated.  "He's good," I explained, "Just help him put the barrels in the boat."  Reluctantly, they helped Bard against his protests.  Bard looked at me for a minute, confused.  I smiled at him to stop him from staring, and he went back to the barrels.

"Well, we just helped you," Balin replied in answer to Bard's question, "And those boots have seen better days.  So has that coat."  He motioned towards the Bard's clothes, "And no doubt you have some hungry mouths to feed."

I interrupted Balin.  "How many kids- children do you have?" I asked, remembering that kids here were baby goats.  I didn't want Balin to bring up Bard's late wife.  He looked at me warily and said, "A boy and two girls.  One is not much older than you."

"Oh come on," muttered Dwalin, "Enough of the niceties..."  "What's your hurry?" Bard asked, tightening the ropes that held the barrels.  "What's it to you?" Dwalin asked gruffly, crossing his arms.  "I would like to know who you are," Bard replied honestly, "And what you are doing in these lands.  And why you have a young girl with you."

He then pointed at me.  Balin put on his business smile and said, "We are simple merchants from the blue mountains., journeying to see our kin in the iron hills.  The lass is his niece and our relative."  He pointed at Thorin. "His sister married a human."  He glanced at me, and I knew that I had to play along.  "Oh. Yeah," I replied, "That's why I'm so short."

It's believable, I thought, refraining from laughing.  Bard didn't look convinced.  "Simple merchants, you say?" he asked, and walked towards the barrels.  "We need food.  Supplies.  Weapons," Thorin replied cautiously, "Can you help us?"  Bard glanced at him, and then back at the barrels.  He started touching the parts with the arrow holes and scratches. 

"I know where these barrels came from," he said.  "What of it?" Thorin asked, hiding his worry.  Bard shrugged and said, "I don't know what business you had with the elves, but I don't think it ended well.  No one enters Laketown but by leave of the master."  He started to untie the ropes connected to the rocky dock.  "All his wealth," he continued, "comes from trade with the woodland realm.  He would see you in irons before risking the wrath of king Thranduil."

He stopped talking and put the ropes on the other side of the barge.  He set his quiver of arrows beside them as well.  Thorin whispered something to Balin, and Balin said, "I'll wager there are ways to get into that town unseen."  Bard shrugged and said, "Aye. But for that, you will need a smuggler."  "For which we would pay. Double," Balin said, his voice taking on a deeper, more desperate tone.

Bard looked at us in confusion at our desperation to get into Laketown.  I held my breath until he finally said, "Alright, I will accept your offer.  But you will need to do exactly as I say in order for you to get in there undetected.  Is that clear?"  The dwarves mumbled in agreement.

I gave a small smile, gritted my teeth, and tried to get up.  Kili saw me first, and tried to stop me.  "No, Sarah," he said, "We cannot allow you to walk.  You are injured."  I sighed shakily and said, "I'm fine, I'll suck it up.  Just... help me get in the boat, and I'll do the rest."
He and Fili each put an arm around my waist, and I put my arms around their necks as I hopped towards the barge.

Bard looked at me as I hopped on and sat against the side.  "Will you be alright?" he asked, sounding genuinely concerned.  I shrugged and said, "I don't know. I hope so."

He slowly nodded as if he understood, and said, "If you need medicine, we have some.  It may not be the best, but I hope that it will help."  I smiled weakly and said, "Thank you, Bard."  He looked surprised for a minute, probably from the fact that I knew his name, and then turned around to push the boat off of the dock with his foot.

Sighing, I looked down at my wound.  I knew there was orc poison in it.  I have three days tops until I die, I thought sadly.
Unless Aerendyl or some elf came to find me.
I doubted it.  He was a prince, I was a prisoner he used to pass his time.  Depression hit me as soon as I realized that I probably wasn't going to be saved.  Kili wasn't shot, so Tauriel wasn't coming.  All I could do was hope and pray that Laketown had some Athelas handy.