Chapter 14: Betrayed

Thank you so much @ZuriFrost02 for the amazing fanart!!!
_____________________________

Mado stands over me, a smirk across his face. Aido stood behind him, looking at him and then at me. I could barely see the regret in his eyes as his eyebrows narrowed.

I couldn't stand. I tried to stand, but I was frozen with a mixture of fear, betrayal and sadness. I didn't even see it coming, the rain weakened my senses. I felt like crying, running away or just disappearing. Instead, I was stuck with a frozen expression of shock, awkwardly sitting against the wall.

I heard Mado laugh through the rain.

"Funny, showing emotions like that. It's over, Kumo. You can stop faking it now," he chuckled as he set down his suitcase, reaching for the lock. He'd seen my face, there was no going back.

I could feel the tears now, warm, compared to the cold rain. A part of me wanted to get up, fight to stay alive, even flee from this place, but another part of me wanted to join my parents, and even Yumi. Yumi.

I made up my mind. Yumi would want me to live, to fight. I got up with shaky legs and turned to face him. Instinctively, my eyes turned into kakugan and my Ukaku and Koukaku come out. By now, Mado had taken his weapon out. I recognized it easily, a scorpion like Bikaku, Hinamis fathers. I liked Hinami, she was like me. Chimera orphan. I'm sorry I left, Hinami.

"Haha, ready, Ghoul?" Mado didn't give me time before he attacked.

I jumped to avoid it, but I had no idea how he would attack next. I landed next to Aido and I could see the struggle on his face.

"N-Natsuki, I-I-" I didn't give him time to finish before I punched him straight in the face.

"Get out!" I screamed at him, "If I survive this, you will suffer! But not now. Get out of here!"

I push him away and he runs without hesitation. I know Mado, I've fought him before. He won't kill me off and leave Aido with a handshake and pat on the back.

I hear Mado laugh which brings me back to my senses. I position myself for another attack, and he doesn't disappoint. He comes straight at me, and I think it's too easy for him. Of course, he disappears before my eyes, only to reappear behind me. I realize quick enough to counter an attack, which hits his, or rather Hinamis fathers, weapon. I jump back to avoid another attack.

At this point I'm cornered back in the alley. I could jump out and try to escape, but even if I did he still saw my face and could locate me easily.

Suddenly, I feel another presence to my right, and another to my left. I look to see Kaneki and Touka at my side. It's the first time I've been grateful to see other ghouls.

"He saw your face, didn't he?" Touka asks. I nod. "Get out of here, we can deal with this."

"Are you sure?" I look at Mado who is watching us.

I feel a hand on my shoulder.
"Yes, we are. We got this," I look at Kaneki and nod, stepping back.

I hear Kaneki and Touka run towards Mado as I turn and jump to the top of the building. I look back to see Kaneki and Touka fighting Mado before running away across the building tops. 

As I'm running I see someone run by me. I catch short brown hair with a headband, and I recognize them immediately. Hinami must have followed Touka and Kaneki here. I stop running and turn to look where she went, but she must have went another direction.

I reach the school, pushing past Yuuki so I don't do anything I will regret. I run into my room and lock the door behind me, sliding down it to sit on the floor. I take a second to catch my breath.

I stand up and walk to the bathroom. It's then I realize my clothes are soaking and my hair is a mess, but I could care less. I reach for the cupboard and grab the package that I hate so much. I open it up and eat it all.

As I clean myself up and put on my uniform, I contemplate whether I should tell the headmaster or Kaname about Aido. If I tell them, Aido could get thrown out of school, even killed. If I don't, he can tell the Investigators where I am. If Touka and Kaneki make it out of there, I will ask them.