Chapter 16: The Past

I run to the headmasters office, creaking the door open. I am surprised to find Aido in there. Speak of the devil. I lean against the wall and listen to their conversation.

"I know, headmaster, I am filled with regret," I hear Aido say.

"That doesn't cut it, Aido, what you did was utterly horrible," The headmaster replied, being serious for once, "She could have gotten killed."

Was he seriously...confessing?

"Yes I understand, do what you want," You could almost hear him hang his head.

"I cannot think of a punishment that could make up for what happened," The headmaster simply stated, "I will have to go to Kaname about this"

"Yes I understand"

I did not realize how much authority Kaname had on this place. Instead of walking inside, I walk away. He had already confessed, there was no need for me to tell what has already been said.

I stop at my room and grab my sketchbook, then head out the window to climb a tree near the lake. I look out across it and sketch some ducks I see floating around.

After about an hour, the duck had flown away and I had messed up the drawing the entire time, I hear footsteps approaching.

"What do you want Aido?" I hissed, not having to look to see who it is.

"I'm sorry," he answers.

"That doesn't work anymore, Aido," I say, putting down my pencil.

"Can't I just explain? And could you come down here?" He nagged.

"Fine, but I'm not coming down," I looked down at him and rested my head on my hand expectantly.

"Ok, I miss-judged you-"

"You think?" I cut him off.

"Anyway, when I was younger, I made some friends, well, was forced to. My parents made me so they could make connections with people. After being forced to spend time with them I eventually developed relationships. It was to the point where I actually didn't mind playing with them. But, this one family, they..um...they were killed. They we're killed by a group of your kind who believed that killing and...eating one of us would give them "powers" or something. I was devastated, but my family could not care less. That was the first time I had ever even heard of a Ghoul, and I was...sacred. I have always been," He conceited.

"Aido.." I sputtered

"When I found out that you came, and that you were a Ghoul, I thought that I had to find a way to get rid of you. One day, that guy, Mado, was it? Well, he came to me saying he knew I was a vampire and he wouldn't kill me as long as I brought you. I thought it was perfect. So I set up the date on a day when it would rain. But I started to...like you. Soon the day came when I had to ask you. It took all me strength and...selfishness to ask you. I didn't not want to get killed, but I had no idea that he wanted to kill you. I brought you to the coffee shop and... well you know the rest," He continued.

I jumped down from the tree, walking up to him.

"Aido, I'm so sorry," I looked down.

"I deserve the punishment I am getting, it's ok," He said.

"What...what is the punishment," I asked.

"Suspended, but still banned from drinking blood," He answered.

"Oh.."

"I expected more, but I should go. I need to find a place to stay for the rest of the year," He walked away and I followed behind him.

"I can help you pack," I offered.

"No, it's ok," He walked away and I stayed behind.

I felt extremely bad for him and I completely understood, but he still did those things to me. I don't know what to do from here.