6. Cassandra

Dates and Hypotheses

"I'm not interested with Cassandra. Not a chance, and not at all. So she's free to date anyone she wants."

Kenneth's words kept on echoing on my mind. I hate this. I thought I'm already used to this pain, to his words. But why is everything like this? The weight of the words that escaped his mouth earlier is wounding me, bad.

Trying to disregard my feelings, I shrugged and smiled it off. I don't want everyone to see that I'm affected by what Kenneth just said earlier. Especially not in front of my friends, my family, Tita Claudine, my mom, and Kenneth himself.

Gabe, who was sitting next to me, held my hand and squeezed it comfortingly. I tried to look away from him to avoid any questioning look, but I met Sean's eyes instead. He was looking at me with his most concerned look. So I smiled to Sean, Mathew, and my brother, Gabe. But however, I knew that they have sensed that I was uneasy because I was silent the whole time. I'm really blessed to have Gabe as my brother, and Sean and Mathew too, even if they're not biologically 'my brothers' like what we would always know. They're the best brothers anybody could ever ask for. They know exactly what I am feeling.

To not make them worry, I gave them a warm smile that assured them that I was okay.

They continued talking about everything and here I am, sitting beside my best friend, Kaycee, as if not hearing anything that all of them are talking about. I'd usually listen and join in the squad's conversation, but this afternoon was not one of those conversations.

"I'm not interested with Cassandra. Not a chance, and not at all. So she's free to date anyone she wants."

Thinking of what Kenneth said earlier, I know that there's no way this feelings for him will get me anywhere. I know that, since who knows when. But he doesn't need to shove it in my face. He's always been like that, since we were kids. Looking down, I tried my best to hold my tears and stop myself from crying. I hate the fact that I would cry when I'm mad and that's the worst thing ever, because I'm trying to act tough and careless but instead I'd cry.

"So she's free to date anyone she wants."

Yeah, that's it. I got my phone from my bag and quickly texted Brandon. I asked him if he and Kalani are still up for our date and they said yes. Brandon said they're on their way to Baldwin Hills and told me they'll meet me there.

This is right. I should definitely give myself a break because I'll explode like a bomb if I didn't.

The squad said that they're leaving, finally! Don't get me wrong though, I love my friends. They're always there for me and they always got my back. That's why they might be a little overreacting when they found out that I'm going out on a friendly date with Brandon and Kalani. "Gabe, are you leaving too?" I asked my brother as my eyes are glued on my phone because I was scanning through details.

"Yes, Cassie. Sean, Will, and I will be carpooling in Mathew's." Gabe answered.

"Can I hop in too? Then drop me in the Plaza?" I asked and bit my lip as I looked up to see my brother, his eye brows knitted together.

"Why? Why are you going to the Baldwin Hills? What are you going to do there?" He asked again.

Smiling widely, I spoke cheerfully. "Meeting up with Brandon! He's already on his way there." I casually answered.

Then my mom raised an eye brow. "But I thought you're staying here? You told me this morning that you'll volunteer watching over Kenneth since it's Sunday tomorrow?" My mom asked.

Giving my mom a smile, I spoke again. "Change of plans, mom. Tita Claudine's already here. There's already someone who'll watch over Kenneth." I simply replied.