Chapter:1

1, the seconds it takes to decide whether or not to get into the chute.
2, the seconds it takes for you to get into the chute.
3, the seconds it takes for the adrenaline to kick in as soon as you get in the chute.
4, the seconds it takes for your heart to pound in your chest.
5, the seconds it takes to keep your cool during the ride.
6, the seconds it takes to know your still alive.
7, the seconds it takes for you to smile.
8, the seconds it takes to hold on.

I went over my eight seconds countdown in my head as I got ready for my last high school ride. I was thirteen when I started. I'm seventeen now. I will be eighteen in December. This is my senior year. All I know is that I'm going to rock this ride. I fixed my chaps before zipping my vest up. I heaved my saddle up and carried it to the chutes. My bronc halter in the other hand. Once I was there I gave the person my gear and they saddled the horse I was supposed to be riding.

Once it was saddled it bucked in the chute. "Your up first tonight Dal." My coach said. I nodded at him. Austin and York, his sons, were near me. Barrel racing was up at the moment and was almost over. One more rider. Once she was out I climbed into the chute. "Up first is Dallas Astrin riding Hellion." I tucked my hair up into my hat and gripped my rope, tight. "Ready?" The gate man asked. I nodded. The gate swung open wide. I held on for the eight I needed. My body moved with the horse.

I was helped off the back onto the back of a horse behind one of the men helping run the rodeo. Once I was over at the fence I got onto the railing and over safely. Once the horse was caught I was handed my saddle and bridle. I carried the gear to my truck and bed camper. My parents have a few horses here tonight so they're sharing it with me. I took my vest off and threw it down on the couch with my bronc saddle and halter. Then went back to the ring. Tie down was up now.

These boys were good. One saw me and tipped his hat from the back of his horse as he waited for the judges. Once his calf was loose he gathered up his rope and left. A few seconds later he was next to me still sitting on his horse. "Wanna better view honey?" He asked holding his hand out. I took it and he pulled me onto the horse behind him. "How many girls wear chaps?" He asked. "Just me." I said. "Barrel racer?" He asked. "Ew no. That got boring years ago." I said. He chuckled. "So what do you do?" He asked. "Saddle bronc and bareback." I replied. "Least it's not bulls." He mumbled. "That's too dangerous in my parents eyes." I said.

"So what are you doing after the rodeo tonight?" He asked. "Helping my dad." I said. "What does he do?" He asked. "He owns a few of the broncos from tonight. The horse I rode tonight is one of his." I said. "Which one was it?" He asked. "Hellion. In the ring he's a huge jumper but outside he's a huge biter." I said. "Then you better keep those pretty little fingers away from his mouth." He said as he moved his horse into a walk. Once we got to the stalls he got off before helping me down.

"Different than riding a wild horse isn't it?" He asked. "Yeah." "Maybe some other time we could go on an actual leisurely ride as you would call it." He said. "I'll think about it." I said before walking off. I knew he was flirting with me and trying not to overdo it. I got back to the ring as a guy was thrown against the fence. Looks like bareback has started. That was Zeus. The only horse out of my dad's bunch to buck along the fence line. I got hurt bad last year when I rode him. I hurried to the chutes for my turn. After I rode I stood next to the fence watching. The next guy riding got into the chute. It was Beucephilus. The bronc snorted and dove for the rider. He quickly climbed out and stood next to me. All I saw was power in the horse.

"F****ng nasty horse." The guy said. "Least you didn't get bit." I said. "Least I didn't get stomped." He said. "Truer than you think. He can break bones if you let him." I said. "I'll take your word for it." He said before limping off. I watched as the last of my dad's horses busted out of the chutes and did what they were supposed to do. They all have different habits in the ring. They all buck differently too. If you learn their patterns you won't have trouble riding any of them. Once the last one went I went back to help my dad load them. He's driving them out tonight while mom and I are leaving in the morning. She wanted to go with him but he thought I couldn't get home by myself.

Five rodeos this year they haven't gone to. Five I've driven myself to. Two the team was with me. The other three were ones leading up to this one. "Mom go with him. You two need alone time together." I said throwing her, her bag. She got up in the cab before dad could even say anything. I went to the camper in the bed of my truck and went in. I pulled my button up off leaving me in my tank top and jeans. I took my belt off then my boots. I laid down on a mattress and fell asleep in my jeans and tank top.

I got up the next morning to my phone ringing. I got up and answered it. "Great job last night Astrin. Keep the riding up in ERA and you'll have more sponsors. I know your going to be at finals next year at least since the season is already almost over." Ace said over the phone. He was the bareback rider for school. "Yeah. I'll try my best. Good luck in the rodeo world." I said to him. "Same to you Dally." He said before hanging up. Leave it to Ace to call me Dally. Ever since we watched the outsiders and read the book by S.E. Hinton, they've been calling me Dally like the outsiders call Dallas Winston.

I pulled a different tank top on and put a pair of shorts on before some ankle socks and my fat baby Ariats. I exited and went to the cab of my truck and got in. I saw a group of guys roping a dummy as I pulled out. One of them was the guy that let me sit on the back of his horse. I glanced back before pulling out of the grounds. I grabbed something to eat before hitting the road. I drove the five and a half hours to Chattanooga. The Oklahoma sky was bright as I pulled into the small town. There's less than 500 people here in this town.

I drove through town. Several waved at me as I did so. Once out of town I turned down the first road on the right and continued until I saw the overhead sign for my parents bronc ranch. A herd of mares and two stallions moved out of the way as I pulled in across the cattle guard. I drove through them carefully watching for foals. Once I was through I picked up speed and drove to the house. I parked my truck and got out. The semi hauler was parked next to the barn. This was all too familiar to me.

I parked next to the house and got out. Coming home often has became boring. The same old thing every time. The ERA rodeo will be in Calgary and I'm heading that way tomorrow morning bright and early. I went in with my dirty laundry and washed everything I needed. Once my clothes were done being washed I packed them up and stuck them in my camper. Then put my dark brown tall shaft boots in next to my bag. I cleaned my saddle and halter before sticking it out to dry.

Once I was done mama called me in for supper. Dad was late coming in saying he was watching the broncs get settled in. "So Dallas your going to the first qualifying?" Dad asked. "Yup. Then go from there. I know I won't be able to get to finals this year but it's to get to know a few of the riders. And possibly a traveling partner. More or less a barrel racer." I said. "Don't worry about me dad. I've gone all the way to Kansas without y'all when I was sixteen. You wanted a few of the boys there while you were in Cali." I added.

"It's not you I'm worried bout it's those cowboys on the circuit I'm worried bout." He said before taking a bite. "Yeah I'm sure my spurs hurt worse than your fist." I said. "All I want is for you to be careful around them." He said before standing and taking his plate to the sink. I finished eating and did the dishes without being asked. Then went for a quick shower and bed. Mom told me good night as she went to bed.