Chapter:13

I looked up into the crowd seeing Annalise watching. Yesterday I had seen her again and told her what to look for, for when I ride. I also found out from her mom that she had a leg formation problem and was confound to a wheelchair. I took my hat off brushing my hair back pulling it into the half ponytail I ride with. I looked back up seeing her pointing towards the chutes. I asked earlier if I could take a picture with my number one fan, getting permission.

I took another photo putting it on my social media saying my number one fan is watching excitedly. My name was called to get into the chute for my ride. I got into the chute helped by my dad and Bobby. "Remember heels down and hand away from you and the horse." Bobby reminded. "Got it." I said before getting down and set on the horse. I was ready and nodded. The gate shot open.

I held on and cleared my mind of what I needed to. Once the buzzer rang it didn't take long for me to be pulled off by a pickup man. Once my boots hit the dirt floor I was up on the railing. I got down once the horse was out before exiting. I then got ready for my next ride. My next horse was already drawn. I knew exactly which horse this was. I had trouble with him during the season.

My gear was already on him. I was first to ride. I took a drink of water before stretching and making sure everything was still clipped and fastened on me. "Saddle bronc riders." We all gathered around the man with the list of the order of the riders for this round. "Astrin. Up first. You have F*** this s*** in chute one." He said. I nodded going over to the chute. I watched Charlie rope quickly before the chutes were loaded. The monstrous horse came barreling into the chute.

I took a deep breath before the last roper went. I got up over the huge stallion. Then eased onto his back. I could tell he was wanting to buck. I took a deep breath getting on. I got set ready for what this horse has to throw at me. I nodded ready to ride. I held on as good as I could. I never heard the buzzer. I fell. I felt pain to my back. I jumped up as soon as I could getting out of the ring.

I was trying to catch my breath from it. The guys were pointing to the board with the time and score. Eight seconds solid on that very horse. I didn't care about the pain anymore. I got up and over. Several were patting me on the back right where it hurt. I dealt with the pain as I walked. I found Charlie tacking his team roping horse up. "Hey. That was an amazing ride sugar!" He said before hugging me. I winced aloud when his arms made contact.

"Did you get stepped on?" He asked. I nodded. He had me take my vest off quickly before he untucked my shirt looking at my back. I heard him suck in a breath. "That bad?" I asked. "It's larger than my hand." He said. I groaned. "Right after I rope we can go back to the room and see it better than here." He said tucking my shirt back in. I nodded. "Come on. I bet you can go back with me." He said.

"I've got to go get my gear." I told him. "Ok. I'll see you afterwards then." He said letting me go by kissing my forehead. I went back and gathered my things up taking my gear to my boyfriend's tack box. I set my bag next to it sitting down on top of the box. I pulled out my water drinking the rest. He came back in with dirt down his front side. I jumped up. "Don't ask. I'm getting a new team roping partner next year." He said pulling the horse in.

He quickly untacked the horse before we both went back to the room. I let him shower first as I got the shirt off. I basically had to peel it off because the top part hurt so bad. "Don't move." I stood still as I felt a cool, damp rag connect to it. I hissed at it. "That's not going to heal nicely sugar." He said. "Get a bath and scrub the rest of your body except your back." He grabbed one of the spaghetti strap tank tops out of my bag.

"Put this on over your torso. No bra. It's got to be disinfected and have some ointment put on it." He said handing it to me. I grabbed a pair of pants and some underwear before going and getting a bath. I didn't scrub my back. I rinsed off and drained the tub before drying off and getting dressed. The tank top didn't touch the hurt area where the rag had touched just before my bath. I laid down on the bed next to Charlie on my stomach. He had a rag and what appeared to be soap.

He cleaned it for me being gentle before a knock came to the door. He got up letting his dad and mine in. He finished cleaning it while both our dads looked at it. "Might sting a little sugar." He said. It actually felt good on the tender skin. I sighed. "Which horse was it?" Dad asked. "Ef this shiz." I said. "You haven't been able to ride him all season." Charlie said. "I know. And the only time I do, I almost get a hole stomped into my back." I said.

He chuckled. "Well. I think you did good tonight sugar. You made two eight seconds rides and got to ride a horse you had trouble riding." He said. I moved my head to look at him. He kissed my cheek. "I wouldn't sleep on my back if I was you." He said. "I'm not." I said. "Good night you two. Clean and cover the entire wound tomorrow." Bobby said. "Night Dall. I'll see you in the morning." Dad said.